Quality and Reliability? Think Again.
By robertoduh on
1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan
I bought this oh so reliable Camry in March 2010 with only 96k miles. I was thinking this car would at least run to 200k or maybe even 300k, but I found out it won't even make it to 130. I have 123 on the clock now, and in the time I had it, I poured over $6500 in repairs. A rebuilt transmission/engine, faulty airbag module, two broken window motors, and a new gas tank. The transmission went out at 100k, and the engine went out at 103k. Now with this "new" engine, it loves to stall at red lights. Not really helpful if I'm stuck on a grade in traffic. Also, the interior quality sucks. My door panels are all cracking and falling off because of weakened clips. Thats quality for ya!
Favorite Features
Decent engine power (When it works), Seats are comfortable, and the cabin is very roomy. The car has many features as well.
Suggested Improvements
Paint quality, Interior quality, and engine
By shambockadee
on 04/29/12 18:23 PM (PDT)

Wow, you must have gotten a rare lemon or one that was supremely abused. I have owned 5 Camrys in the last 10 years. I drove my first 277,000 miles and sold it. I still see it go by now and then. My second I bought for 1500 dollars extremely abused. Some kid got stuck in a snow bank and overreved the engine. I dropped a engine in it from a local junk yard. It lives! I has 200,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. Shines up like a new penny. My wife needed a car for work. I bought a 99 Camry from a lady on Craiglist who was highly motivated to sell for 3000 bucks. I have had the car 4 years now and the only repair has been a broken door handle. I bought a 96 from a lady two weeks ago 239000 miles, extremely abused. She lives out in the mountains with a road like a creek bed. The struts and bushings need to be replaced. The engine and transmission are tight. The paint is excellent. The interior is in good shape. This will be my daughters college car after some standard repairs. Oh, I paid 750.00 for the car. Onward, my fifth camry got totaled at 170,000 miles. I am parting it out because the engine and tranny are tight. I do not recognize the experience you are talking about except in the case of extreme abuse. Camrys a solid cars that run and run and run- you get the point. Even when totaled they run. They are tremendous money savers. I love the tight tolerences and ingenuity these cars are built with. I would give the Camry another try. I have owned just about every brand of car made- Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Pontiac, Honda Accord(Great Car), Chrysler(Ouch), Nissan -on and on. The Accord is the best, but the camry is competitive and easier to work on. Your experience is not the norm.