1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
!996 Toyota Camry
By edmunds347 on 08/12/13 23:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought our Camry used with 92,000 miles on it and now we have almost 280,000 miles on it. We just had to replace the radiator and last year we replace the timing belt because we thought it was about time to. We have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. The check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs replaced. Other than a few little minor things, the car still runs great. I trust it to go anywhere.

Great car
By fishera on 07/23/11 13:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Bad oil leaks.
By John B. on 05/09/10 07:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has had excellent dealer care and has given us nothing but gross oil leaks. Would NOT consider another Toyota regardless of their seductive ad campaigns. The oil leaks are very serious. You will have a lot of oil everywhere. Consider another used car choice.

Oh, what a feeling!
By Greg on 12/07/08 14:29 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This Toyota is rolling right along. I bought it with 19,000 miles as a lease turn in. I now have 203,000 miles on it and still a daily driver. NO major repairs. Just batteries, tires, water pump and timing belt. It's one thing to pay the upfront cost, but then the maintenance cost over the years is where this car shines.

Gas Saver & Builded to Last
By Dujox on 06/17/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 116,000 on it. Paid 2800.00.The same day the car overheated. Keep the car anyway. Changed the head block, radiator, water pump and most of the cooling system. Since it has been the Dream Car, seriously. Just regular serviced: change oil & filter. Great with gas and also very reliable. If you need a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the Camry fits this description, without hypes.

My Camry
By Camry on 03/27/07 09:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car since I bought it. I was intending to drive it to 200,000 miles, but now I have been hit in a rearend collision and I will probably have to trade it in.

Almost at 200,000 miles!
By Mike B on 09/07/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in 2001 when it had ~106k miles. So, I've driven it just about 90k miles in 5 years. The major items I've replaced are as follows: struts, clutch, motor mounts, starter, harmonic balancer pulley, main engine seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover seal, spark plug o-rings (grommets), CV joints. Currently, the check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs to be replaced ($1,200 at the dealer) and the rack-and-pinion steering system needs to be replaced ($700 at dealer) Overall, though, this car has been great! With the mileage it has, the seals and clutch repairs are not unexpected. However, the car is definitely starting to feel like a high-mileage ride..

Great Car
By gatech fan on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Rides quitely. Very reliable. This is my wife's car and it has served us well

96 camry
By frankyboywhatajoy on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

the best car i ever owned, better than the honda accord.

point A to B..
By tirthankar_b on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

With a 4 cylinder engine, performance is reasonably good unless ur with 5 and the ac on. its very comfortable but there is a lot of roll during cornering. i am driving an used one in average condition, but it is very reliable. the engine works very well with the transmission. not so fuel efficient, gived me 19-21 mpg in the city. 24-26 on the highway.