Used 1996 Toyota Camry DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

!996 Toyota Camry
By edmunds347

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought our Camry used with 92,000 miles on it and now we have almost 280,000 miles on it. We just had to replace the radiator and last year we replace the timing belt because we thought it was about time to. We have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. The check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs replaced. Other than a few little minor things, the car still runs great. I trust it to go anywhere.

Great car
By fishera

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Strong motor. Spacious back seat. Simple, good car. Doesn't need much maintenance to continue running at a high level.

Suggested Improvements

Reading other posts, the oil leak seems to be a common problem with this model. It is annoying to have to add a quart every few weeks, the mess can be annoying too. However, it was always easy to find my parking spot at work!

Bad oil leaks.
By John B.

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has had excellent dealer care and has given us nothing but gross oil leaks. Would NOT consider another Toyota regardless of their seductive ad campaigns. The oil leaks are very serious. You will have a lot of oil everywhere. Consider another used car choice.

Favorite Features

Simple car

Suggested Improvements

Stop the oil leaks. Make them dependable.

Oh, what a feeling!
By Greg

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This Toyota is rolling right along. I bought it with 19,000 miles as a lease turn in. I now have 203,000 miles on it and still a daily driver. NO major repairs. Just batteries, tires, water pump and timing belt. It's one thing to pay the upfront cost, but then the maintenance cost over the years is where this car shines.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance cost, very dependable

Suggested Improvements

Wish all cars could be as dependable.

Gas Saver & Builded to Last
By Dujox

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 116,000 on it. Paid 2800.00.The same day the car overheated. Keep the car anyway. Changed the head block, radiator, water pump and most of the cooling system. Since it has been the Dream Car, seriously. Just regular serviced: change oil & filter. Great with gas and also very reliable. If you need a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the Camry fits this description, without hypes.

Favorite Features

Gas saver. Power windows. Big trunk. Build to last. Roomy. Start even below 18 inches of snow.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control. Cigarette lighting on the back sit.