1996 Toyota Camry Sedan 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

LE Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Wish I could buy a new one
By veconomos on 01/29/14 07:28 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

Good car, not great quality.
By spring1991 on 06/13/12 11:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it. Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3 on 04/08/12 06:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds. Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Love x 2
By jplum46 on 03/09/12 16:55 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla on 02/15/12 19:39 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Best Car I have owned!
By marioinarp on 02/19/11 20:02 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Great car bought used in 2007, now 4 years later have only had to replace a/c Compressor at 190,050 miles car has over 220,000 miles now and runs like NEW! Very fuel efficent on the highway. Very low maintanance. I LOVE THIS CAMRY!

Camry forever
By Toy4life on 05/26/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine 3 years ago almost to the day with 150,000 miles on it. I can't believe it's already been 3 years, but got me thinking, this is the best car I've owned. I've owned Chevy, Fords & Toyotas, had a Tundra before this, but didn't like all the gas on the Tundra. Anyhow, this car is like I've heard, Bulletproof, now has 205,000 miles on it, never a problem. I change the oil myself every 3000 miles & drive it 50 miles 4 days a week. It still gets, & I'm amazed by this, going 60-65 mph on the freeway, 37 miles a gallon! I use fuel/injector cleaner once a month to aid in this. The white paint is still in great shape with a twice a year waxing. Could be the million mile car!

Great reliable car with over 200K miles
By iluvdodgetrx on 02/06/10 07:31 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car about 9 months and I bought it for $700. I did some normal and much needed routine maintenance on it and it has never let me down. I have almost 211,000 miles on it and I expect many more

Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I've Owned
By Dan on 01/21/10 22:30 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car before we were married for $6000 w/ 50K miles on it from an older woman. It now has 140,000 miles. We have taken it on old forest service roads and through small streams, packed to the brim with camping gear and a canoe strapped on top. It is comfortable and reliable - I *never* worry about breaking down or repair costs with this car. In 90K miles we have done the regular maintenance and service: timing belt & water pump, spark plugs and wires, and oil changes. Other than that, we had to replace a seal on the final drive unit and both CV boots. Overall, $1500 worth of repairs and maintenance for 90K miles of hard driving. Simply the best car we have owned.

96 Camry LE
By Norm on 12/30/09 16:50 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I'm giving this car all #8 evaluations because I just bought it today. Using Edmunds price guidelines I bought a 96 Camry LE with some exterior body damage, but 4 brand new tires, battery and recent service. Engine runs smooth, transmission shifts perfectly. It passed an emissions test with no problems. Interior in good condition. Everything works perfectly-power windows, tilt steering wheel, radio, power antenna, air conditioning, heater, etc 164,000 miles. I paid $950.

1 2 3 4 5 next »