1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Wish I could buy a new one
By veconomos on 01/29/14 07:28 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

!996 Toyota Camry
By edmunds347 on 08/12/13 23:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought our Camry used with 92,000 miles on it and now we have almost 280,000 miles on it. We just had to replace the radiator and last year we replace the timing belt because we thought it was about time to. We have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. The check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs replaced. Other than a few little minor things, the car still runs great. I trust it to go anywhere.

225,000 miles, runs fine
By troyboy4 on 07/08/12 22:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 LE V6 used with 32,000 miles - today it has 225,000 and still runs good. I have been waiting for some major repair to come-up, but it has never happened. original engine and transmission - repairs have been - power steering hoses, cv boots, water pump, starter- that's about it nothing major. excellent - glad I bought the V6, I think they last longer than the 4 bangers

Good car, not great quality.
By spring1991 on 06/13/12 11:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it. Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3 on 04/08/12 06:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds. Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Love x 2
By jplum46 on 03/09/12 16:55 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla on 02/15/12 19:39 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Loved My Camry
By emilydfeist on 08/22/11 14:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I loved my Camry! It was always reliable. I wrecked it this past saturday and i almost cried! I hit a deer but the car held up well! I had it for almost 3 years and the only problems it had was an oil leak..but it wasnt anything major..honestly i never fixed it because it never gave me any problems. I had to replace a few parts earlier this year but thats expected on a vehicle its age. Over all a wonderful car. Unfortunately the 2005 Toyota i was looking to buy has bad reveiws...maybe they should go to making it the way they used to.

Quality and Reliability? Think Again.
By robertoduh on 08/02/11 12:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this oh so reliable Camry in March 2010 with only 96k miles. I was thinking this car would at least run to 200k or maybe even 300k, but I found out it won't even make it to 130. I have 123 on the clock now, and in the time I had it, I poured over $6500 in repairs. A rebuilt transmission/engine, faulty airbag module, two broken window motors, and a new gas tank. The transmission went out at 100k, and the engine went out at 103k. Now with this "new" engine, it loves to stall at red lights. Not really helpful if I'm stuck on a grade in traffic. Also, the interior quality sucks. My door panels are all cracking and falling off because of weakened clips. Thats quality for ya!

Great car
By fishera on 07/23/11 13:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.