Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Wish I could buy a new one
By veconomos

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

The one problem with the car, and I have seen this in other Toyotas, was that the clear coat flaked off on parts of the car. But it never rusted underneath.

!996 Toyota Camry
By edmunds347

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought our Camry used with 92,000 miles on it and now we have almost 280,000 miles on it. We just had to replace the radiator and last year we replace the timing belt because we thought it was about time to. We have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. The check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs replaced. Other than a few little minor things, the car still runs great. I trust it to go anywhere.

225,000 miles, runs fine
By troyboy4

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 LE V6 used with 32,000 miles - today it has 225,000 and still runs good. I have been waiting for some major repair to come-up, but it has never happened. original engine and transmission - repairs have been - power steering hoses, cv boots, water pump, starter- that's about it nothing major. excellent - glad I bought the V6, I think they last longer than the 4 bangers

Comfortable seats (unlike the rock hard honda seats) smooth, powerfull quiet ride - If this EXACT car was for sale new today, I would buy it again- so I would have a great reliable car for another 13 years -

Keep making toyotas like you did back in 1996.

Good car, not great quality.
By spring1991

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it. Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds. Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Nothing really stands out about this car has all power options. It's reliablity and Toyotas comitment to building a quality car really shines through. I wouldn't hesitate to take this car across the country if need be.

Nothing I can see why so many people love there Toyotas, very reliable and easy to work on.