Used 1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love my car!
By Sold on Toyota

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Camry in 1999 with 19,000 miles one it. It now has over 250,000 miles on it, runs like a champ and still has a very pretty exterior. I still get compliments on it! We have done basic maintenance on it and a couple minor repairs over the years, but it is our most reliable car by far and I take it on errands (less than 2 miles) and long road trips with never a worry. I will buy nothing but a Toyota ever again. This car is awesome - seriously.

The reliability. Can't beat it - keeps on going when our other cars have died. Thought we'd keep as backup, but the primary vehicles couldn't cut it.

My gas cap cover fell off and my leather seats cracked badly...but it is 14 years old. So, no biggie.

Better than new
By Dylan

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

Bought in '05 with 148000 kms in perfect condition. Very well built (much better than most new cars), incredibly reliable, but a bit boring. The V6 is very smooth and quiet but it lacks low end torque and seems to bog if you step on it. Ride is very smooth but floaty and needs to be more controlled. Steering is not very sharp. Tranny shifts well most of the time, but short shifts in normal mode and hangs on to revs too much in power mode. Quality of materials and build is awesome. Leather is excellent quality but front seat padding is hard and pinches the thighs. Overall a very good car with some minor shortcomings.

Reliability, build quality, smooth and quiet, up to 37mpg (imp gals) on the hwy, feels like it will last forever.

Boring to drive, engine lacks torque, ride should be as smooth yet be much more controlled, front driver's seat is hard and uncomfortable, poor headroom with sunroof, not as quiet as some newer vehicles (to be expected).

96 Camry Collectors Edition Going Strong
By Carl

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

This car is meant to keep going. I have now put over 255,000 miles on the car and it still runs very well. The car is very comfortable for the driver and for up to 4 passengers (both long and short trips). 188hp very peppy for a mid-sized car. The exterior looks are phenomenal, basically a Lexus in Camry clothes. Interior has held up very well for 12 year old leather. Even with today's fancier features (nav, heated mirrors, etc) I would buy this car again in a heart beat. Camry (Cam-Mou-ri = Crown in japanese) is the gem of the Toyota lineup. I am very pleased with the long life, high miles, and literally NO maintenance of this vehicle.

I really like the perks of the Collector's Edition: power seats, CD player, leather, moonroof, Lexus pearl white paint, faux-wood interior, alloy wheels, and gold trim/pinstripe. I like how I can still get 26 mpg (mixed city/highway) on most fillups when newer cars can't even get that.

To complete the package, heated mirrors would be a plus. But seriously, this car has been, and continues to be, amazing in every way. I only wish they'd bring it back into production. I'd order one for myself and one for my wife!

Low maintanence cost and looks good
By Mike McCoy

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been the best I have ever owned. I would be hard pressed to buy another brand other than Toyota or Lexus. The build quality is outstanding and the car is still as tight as the day we drove it off the lot. This car has a lot of life left her. 9 years old and 90,000 miles and she is not even breathing hard.

Lots of rear set leg room.

Only suggestion would be to redesign the trunk lid. When it is wet and you open the lid water drips in on whatever you have in the trunk. Not a big deal, we cope.

Toyota Quality
By mehollin

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

180,000 miles and still going strong...this car has had no major maintenance (only replaced brakes, battery, and alternator).

comfortable ride, pretty good performance from the V6. Reliability!

Better ergonomics, side air bags