Used 1996 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Wish I could buy a new one
By veconomos

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

Suggested Improvements

The one problem with the car, and I have seen this in other Toyotas, was that the clear coat flaked off on parts of the car. But it never rusted underneath.

Good car, not great quality.
By spring1991

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it. Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds. Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Favorite Features

Nothing really stands out about this car has all power options. It's reliablity and Toyotas comitment to building a quality car really shines through. I wouldn't hesitate to take this car across the country if need be.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can see why so many people love there Toyotas, very reliable and easy to work on.

Love x 2
By jplum46

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

Favorite Features

The best built car period. Can be brought back from the dead like my second one which had poor maintenance but a beautiful body. This car was given TLC and had old worn suspension parts replaced along with motor care. Arrived noisy and after 10k new miles is like new. Never would I attempt such a purchase for any car online without a test drive. Go Toyota! If you don't take care of these cars they are the most resilient but what a shame. Luxury - simplicity - reliability - security - fun Camry -My Car These late 90's cars are also the last ones that you might want to personalize with your favorite electronics as the new ones are all computer and dangerous to mess with.

Suggested Improvements

The new Camry's are not as good as a well maintained 3rd Gen Camry. Maybe more safety features but when I realize that my totaled first Camry should have totaled me as well then more safety isn't a consideration. I wasn't even hurt in an accident that should have been tragic. I still prefer the simple styling as to the long nose lookalike sedans of today. There is no personality in today's' cars. I may acquire a fancier one in the future but the Camry will remain in the stable.

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Favorite Features

Reliability under-hood. Good engine and transmission. AC still works. Good heating.

Suggested Improvements

More power, but for 4 cyl, 1996, not bad.