Used 1995 Toyota Camry DX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Pure Drive For Years
By Reid Hardy

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

To this day my 1995 Toyota Camry zips me from place to place with absolute joy. This car just wants to be on the road and it truly does feel at home. The suspension articulates every detail of surface to your hands allowing you to truly understand what is happening. If the ride is rough then you're driving somewhere the Camry doesn't want to go. With this being said, I have indulged in a little dirt road rallying and the suspension is tremendous for handling. There is a true feeling of being glued to what ever you are gliding across. In tarmac situation there is just enough roll to make you avoid pushing the car to hard, but since it has a 5 year old child's center of gravity, you really have to be pushing it to begin to feel this. I have the front wheel drive 4 cylinder LE model with a V6 version available, but I have never felt under powered in this car, of course you will not be beating anyone off the line. The automatic transmission is solid 90% of the time. It is alittle sluggish. The steering is light and responsive yet I would say it causes a slight disconnect with the drive, like you would be able to throw the car into a barrel roll while steering with on finger. While for day to day driving this feature is wonderful, the lack of feedback from the steering will allow you to over steer if not concentrating on where the traction is. Throttle is very responsive and breaking is wonderful until you really need them. The AntiLock system loves to engage at opportunities when a fast controlled stop would be possible, so in emergency situations go ahead and floor to avoid having the antilock system pulse you right into the back of someone. High MPG and a decent tank makes this perfect for commuting. Features are not the plentiful, but instead of having a billion buttons that do little, every knob produces a noticeable outcome. A/C is one of the quickest I have ever experienced. After sitting in 90 degree Georgia heat it will be blowing cold after about 30 seconds of running, something most new cars can't manage to do. Wiper controls aren't perfect. either a little too slow or a little to slow, but this is only for the pickiest of wet weather trekkers. Comfortable interior with lots of room despite the size. Having the steering wheel block the gauges when in the perfect driving position has been the only real issue for me. The beautiful thing about this car is first impression is the lasting image you are given. It feels the same as the first day I drove it which I assume varied little from when it drove off the assembly line. I've had no mechanical issues and see nothing happening anytime soon, as is the story for many Toyota of this time. I promise that if you enjoy the test drive then you will enjoy the car as long as you own it.

A Great Daily Driver
By twinturboZ32

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 5 speed Camry just this past November. This was to be my winter car and new daily driver. I must say it was perfect timing with the snow we had in northern VA this year. I bought it for $2,000 with 113,000 miles, you can't beat that. I had a 1993 Camry in college and I donated it with 240,000 miles. These cars can go past 200K miles easily. When I got mine I did the 60k service; timing belt, water pump, oil seals. I also put in a new radiator. I paid $1,000 for all of this work. So for $3,000 I have a good working beater car. My other car is a 1993 Nissan Twin Turbo 300zx. The Camry doesn't compare in terms of performance. But, I averaged 30 mpg highway on my last trip.

5 spd. Lots of storage room. FWD for rain and snow works great. Good gas mileage for a cheap daily driver. I don't care what it looks like. I bought it to be a solid choice mechanically. There's little that go wrong on these as long as you do regular maintenance.

Well, I got the most basic version. The DX, which is a manual transmission. So nothing is power. Not meaning the steering wheel, but windows, locks, mirrors, antenna, etc. Its very basic but that is what I needed. I have a fast twin turbo sports car with t-tops to drive on the weekend!

Did I buy a lemon
By JP

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1995 toyota camry has been somewhat of a lemon. It did have over 200,000 miles when I bought it and it was on the second engine. The reverse went out where it would be somewhat OK at start up if cold, but would not work when the oil got hot. Miraculously it began working again about 2 years after I bought. I would drive it without a reverse but had to be careful where I parked. The door handles broke and I have a tie-string to open the driver's door. Overall the car is junk and it does prove to me very much so that Toyota's are far from perfect and can develop serious problems like all other cars. I still rate Toyota's high though.

Still a Great Car Eleven Years Later
By YSSMAN

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

What can I say about the Camry that has never been said before. When my Mother was looking for a car back in 1995, it was easily one of the best cars sold in America, and thus she made the purchase. It has been a real gem for most of its life, really only showing trouble now (eleven years later). It is a great family car, and the car has been across the country several times. But, the car is dreadfully boring. It is boring to look at, boring to drive, and most certainly boring to ride in. But, for most people, boring is a good thing, and it should not drive them away from buying one of the better cars made in the 1990's. But, she needs replacement, and it looks like we are going with a VW.

The best things about the Camry are pretty simple, it is good at damn near everything. A quiet and calm ride is nice, gas mileage is good, and the interior is pretty comfortable even with four full-sized adults. Best of all, it was born to go down the highway... A good feature for a family car.

To me, the NVH levels have seemed a bit loud, despite the fact it was a quiet car in it's time. Outward visibility in the back is not too great either, as smaller children sometimes have difficulty seeing out of the car when in the back seat. Oh, and it needs a better radio, standard.

170000 and counting...
By AKcamry

1995 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Has run like a dream through at least 7 interior alaska winters. Great sleeper car... with the stick shift have destroyed wrx's and many others off the line. Has nearly 170,000 miles and is still super smooth and oh so quiet and extremely reliable. Mine is kind of beat up, but I think the exterior design of this car is beautiful, and still holds up. Interior is nice and under stated. Love this car... want to keep it forever