Used 1992 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
The 92 Camry
By Nick

1992 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Good Car! I bought this car off my grandparents, and they did not baby it. For the first 5 years my grandfather drove 19,000 miles year, and then he gave it to his wife. The car has over 131 K miles now. Runs great on regular gas. 4cylinder gets about 26 avg. mpg. Only had 1 major problem and that was the transmision went due to pulling a boat for 10 years. Also muffler went after 12 years other then that this was a great small car and has all the features you could need. Greater stater car for kids. Power windows, locks, mirros, cd player, etc.

Favorite Features

Stock speakers are great 24mpg city-30mpg highway Compfortable ride Power everything

Suggested Improvements

ABS standard (Optional in 1992) Airbag on the Passenger side (NA) Traction Control Standard (Optional in 1992)

I can see why...
By Pat

1992 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for a year and a half, I can see why it is the best selling car in America. My car gets around 27 MPG while being very comfortable, and the 4 cylinder engine, while not having tons of power, has good mid-range torque. It is a very comfortable car on the highway, and handles corners pretty well. The steering is, well, boring, but it gets the job done. Seeing as my car only has 93,000 miles on it, I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and comfortable on the highway, great mileage (Averaging 27 MPG, but I have seen 34 MPG), a beast in the snow. Rarely breaks, and when it does it is usually very easy and cheap to fix.

Suggested Improvements

A bit boring, and I wish the engine had a bit more power. If you carry a full load of people often, I would suggest taking the hit on mileage and getting the V6.

A Reliable, No Frills, No Nonsense car
By Chris

1992 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

If you're just looking for an oldie but goody, no frills, point a to point B, this is a great car. Very reliable, 25 to 30 combined miles per gallon, nice comfortable and quiet ride. Not luxurious or sporty, but starts every time and runs great. The only bad points for me are fuel economy...with a small four I would expect better, and also power is a little iffy on hills and from a start, it's still very zippy and since most other non-turbo 4-cylinders are similar, I can't fault it. The Transmission is fairly solid but will bog down on hills, otherwise a smooth shift. Fairly comfortable as I slept in it one night with the seat down. Only bad thing is I have replaced two A/C systems.

Favorite Features

Cruise, Loud Radio, Good Heat and A/C

Suggested Improvements

Try working on the transmission, very boggy on hills with a delayed reaction and very slow on the start, shift points should be changed or the gear ratios. Also more options would be nice. This is a car that would be great with a turbo bolted to it.

Amazing Reliability
By Go Tarheels!

1992 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Going on my second year driving this great car. After dealing with a lemon for three years, I held my breath waiting for this one to break down too but it never has. The car rides perfectly, needs only regular maintenance, no trace of an oil leak, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The rear end is rather large and makes backing up difficult in tight spaces but this is the only flaw. After the car proved herself over several long trips I could enthusiastically recommend Camryís to my mom. She has since traded in her huge, wasteful SUV for a newer model Camry and loves it. When a car is safe enough to put your mom in, thatís pretty darn safe.

Favorite Features

Solid and reliable. A common enough car that it's easy to find a knowledgeable mechanic.

Suggested Improvements

The rear is large and raised up a bit which can impair visibility. We call her "Big Butt." Also, the gear shift is too close to the cup holder. Putting her into reverse requires squeezing the cup of coffee; often times the lid pops off. This could just be due to ridiculously big cups of coffee.

Keeps Going and Going
By jd129

1992 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago from the first owner with 83,000 miles on it. Since then I have driven it up and down the east coast multiple times and went on a 26 day, coast to coast road trip racking up 9,725 miles. It now has 232,500 miles on it. Engine runs great, rides smooth, and besides routine maintenance and few replacement parts here and there it's been low maintenance. It has become the go to car for road trips among friends and family because of it's reliability and the fact that on the highway she gets 33 mpg consistently. I don't know how they did it, but Toyota may have made the best car on the road.

Favorite Features

RELIABLITY! This car goes and goes. Besides that it has a comfortabe ride, spacious interior, looks new despite being 20 years old. I have been asked over and over if it is a car from 98-99, and I get stunned faces when I say it's a 92. All power windows, locks and A/C still work.

Suggested Improvements

None.