Used 1991 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Awesome car
By Jon

1991 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a commuter, and it had only two previous owners. Extremely reliable, I only had to replace the radiator, and some typical toyota camry rust spots over the wheels. Other than that, It never gave me a problem. Very good on gas and didn't do all that bad in the snow. I was very sad when I totalled it last year in an accident. I would definitely buy another one.

Favorite Features

Economical, reliable, very fun to drive, and handles very well. Surprisingly, it has some good get up and go to.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Can't bust it
By Sam

1991 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan

This is our first car. With a growing family, we're finally getting ready to buy something bigger and newer, but we'll keep it on as the second commuter. Extraordinary reliability. It has bounced over the rough streets of Washington DC with no problems for five years. Then we took it with us to Bogotá, Colombia, for another two years. Even though we could sell it for much more than the US value in Colombia, we'll keep it for our move to Mexico.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on, so repairs are cheap. Not that they're often needed. Comfortable and quiet, even though it's a base model.

Suggested Improvements

Washington DC residents had no trouble forcing the trunk lock. Eventually I disconnected it, leaving only the inside trunk release.

Very Dependable Toyota!!
By Chris

1991 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I recently sold this car (owned it about 2 years) due to noisy valves, but it was a pleasure to own and drive this car. It had tons of power and only very little maintenance was required, such as spark plugs, belts, brakes. Buyers, please change the oil when it's due. If not, the engine will be destroyed as mine was. (Noisy valve lifters). Keep oil changes up to date and check and maintain all fluid levels and it will last many, many years!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, moonroof, seat, engine reliability, trans. smooth as silk and excellent performance and handling. TONS of pickup!! Reliability! Reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would be nice, rust bubbled up near the rear wheel wells. Better quality body parts needed around wheel wells. Better gas perfection! Gas mileage wasn't that great due to bad valves.

Totally Impressed!
By Happy Man!

1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

My Toyota Camry has been a pleasure to drive. It is a well built, solid and very dependable car. There were just over 200K on the odometer when I bought the car. A buddy of mine called and said he needed to sell the car so we agreed on a price and I took it on the spot! I have been totally impressed to own and drive my Camry!

Favorite Features

Lot's of space, leg and headroom! Comfortable and roomy rear seating. Love the front wheel drive! By far the most fuel efficent vehicle I have ever owned!

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Didn't Know I Could LOVE a Car So Much!
By A Roundy

1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, had lots of new cars before, but just couldn't believe I could love ANY car so much! Fun to drive mountains, 4cyl manual 5-spd, JUMPS up from SAC to Tahoe. Low CG, loves curves! Always Over 30 mpg, even in town, but 33 to 35 on the highway. I then bought a new 2001, but maybe with a higher CG, it didn't drive as well. I kept it in my garage and drove the '91! Still going strong now at 192,000 miles. Changed timing belt at ~100,000 mi, Not 75,000, but belt was still perfect. Only 2 drawbacks: 1. Radio controls are too low down to see road at the same time, and 2. That year, mine did not have airbags.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, especially in mountains! Fun to manually shift, choose gears. Always Over 30 mpg, even in town, but 33 to 35 on the highway. Always dependable. Original shocks. Still original muffler, too.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota did it on later models. 1. Put radio on top so you don't have to look away from the road to set it. 2. Use wheels larger than 14". AND: vinyl center armrest cracked and wore very badly. All other dash, etc., vinyl, perfect after all these yrs.