Used 1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

1991 Camry, my favorite car!
By Dale

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my parents when I got my license. I grew up with it as well. But I'm sad I'll have to get a new car in a year since my parents think this car is getting old. They really don't make cars like these anymore. It is very reliable. The only thing fixed on this car since we had it was the Alternator, shocks, and muffler. This is a powerful car and the fact that it's a V6 is great. It runs very well even though it is older than me. It's extremely reliable and safe. I prefer it over my sister's new Camry. Fuel economy is ok, could be a little better but it doesn't guzzle your gas. If I could ask Toyota to make this car for me again, I would.

I love the little things they've thought of. locking glove box, curved end of ash tray so if you store coins in it, you can easily get them out; the panel lights at night only illuminate what you need (for instance, the power button for the radio lights up and the rest of it after you turn it on)

No real suggested improvements. I just wish this car had airbags (I know, they weren't standard in '91). But nevertheless, I still feel safe.

Mileage Improved
By MonkeyKing

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I have a '90 and '91 Camry. I bought the former new and it has 242K miles and the latter I bought mine '96 with 96K miles in Calif. and now it has 250K. This summer my gas mileage actually improved on the '91; I got 36 mpg in highway driving when I never had better than 33. I've done the usual maintenance work and am conscientious about changing the oil. I've driven these cars in New Hampshire and now in Minnesota. Rust is starting to show on the '91 and it kills me to think rust and peripherals such as freezing locks and sagging seats will destroy the cars before the engine dies. I am writing to advise anyone living in the sunbelt to never hesitate to buy this Camry.

Reliability, size to carry four comfortable and luggage, ease of maintenance, clear views through all the windows without any annoying posts in the wrong positions, comfortable and relatively quiet ride.

Exposing spark plug to make them easier to remove without leaving a socket wrench wrap inside the spark plug tunnel.

Good Car!!
By Will

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought it for my daily commute car (100 mi a day), it has been excellent! The car now has over 318k, uses approx 1 qt oil between changes, gets 32-35 mpg as runs great!! Keep up with the maintenance & they'll last a long time. I'd buy a newer one if I had the money, it is a great car & EVERY one still works!! Only bad is they rust easy...it has a few places needing attention.

Power seat belts.

less rust

Not The Greatest...Mediocre
By Krissy

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 194,000 miles on it back in Feb. and it ran BETTER than a new car. I let my friend drive it for a month, due to lack of driveway space, then stored it at my house. Maybe it sat too long (4 mos.) but started it every day until the battery AND fuel pump died on me. Another issue was a serious electrical problem with the left blinker flashing on and off when it wanted to! I sold it for $200 and was happy to be rid of this expensive-to-fix car! I will never buy the "90 or '91 models ever again. I might consider a '92-'96 body style models. But these are definitely overrated. I was very disappointed- thought they last until the 400,000 mile mark!

Peppy 2.0 engine, lots of interior/trunk space, comfort, smooth ride (when it ran)!

Build longer lasting parts (fuel pump), too rust-prone, the automatic power locks need to be ELIMINATED- they locked me out of my car with keys still in ignition! (Thank God It Wasn't Running!)and cupholders in a bad location. This car literally died on me about 1 minute after I washed it!

Very Disappointed Former Camry Owner!!!!
By Kris

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

WHAT a disappointment! Starting from the test drive, I had this gut feeling something wasn't quite right. The test-ride was great and it drove like new! When the sales guy accompanied me (I hate when they go with you!!) stating that I had the vehicle out too long, a red flag came up. I still bought it, then I stored it at a friend's and was happy. The mileage was 194K at the time of purchase and right after I washed it at a car wash, the fuel pump died! Also, it had a major electrical problem (the left blinker wouldn't go out!!) and I couldn't afford to fix it. I will never buy the older model again! Only the '92-'96 models and this time will have it mechanically checked out thoroughly!!!!!

Nice exterior body design, very quiet engine, very comfortable seats, lots of power for a 2.0L. Excellent suspension and front end stability, plenty of interior/trunk space.

Build a better and longer lasting fuel pump, improve on the common rust on wheel wells, (both front and rear) cupholders in a better location, improve/upgrade all electrical parts and better center console.