1991 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
"old" Toyota quality
By Steve on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1991 Camry from my in- laws in 1999 with 83,000 miles. Now at 250,000 miles, I can see why Toyota was dominant in the durability department with these cars. Recently our 4cyl. model on a 525 mile round trip got a record of 39.5pmg with only me in it, but used about 3/4 of a quart of oil. Living in the salt belt has taken a toll on its sheet metal, especially around the rear wheel wells. It does lack power but makes up for it in a smooth and reliable ride. After all of Toyota's recalls lately, I wonder if they will ever make a reliable car like this one again? If I was going newer, I may want to switch to a Honda next time. Toyota went too big too fast and its quality shows!

Great car, kinda rusty though
By Steve on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1991 Camry from our in-laws with 83,000 miles on it in 1999. Now its nearing 250,000 miles and it still runs/ drives great. The 4 cyl. isn't the quickest, especially with the A/C on, but its gets 33+ mpg highway regularly. No squeaks or rattles inside, the cloth seats are holding up extremely well, but the clincher for me is the auto- transmission is rock solid. If Toyota could have made the car bodies less prone to rust during these years, this probably would be one of the best cars we have ever owned. Period. If you only could put Toyota powertrains into Chevy car bodies? I can only hope

Mileage Improved
By MonkeyKing on 10/25/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I have a '90 and '91 Camry. I bought the former new and it has 242K miles and the latter I bought mine '96 with 96K miles in Calif. and now it has 250K. This summer my gas mileage actually improved on the '91; I got 36 mpg in highway driving when I never had better than 33. I've done the usual maintenance work and am conscientious about changing the oil. I've driven these cars in New Hampshire and now in Minnesota. Rust is starting to show on the '91 and it kills me to think rust and peripherals such as freezing locks and sagging seats will destroy the cars before the engine dies. I am writing to advise anyone living in the sunbelt to never hesitate to buy this Camry.

Good Car!!
By Will on 10/08/09 10:54 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought it for my daily commute car (100 mi a day), it has been excellent! The car now has over 318k, uses approx 1 qt oil between changes, gets 32-35 mpg as runs great!! Keep up with the maintenance & they'll last a long time. I'd buy a newer one if I had the money, it is a great car & EVERY one still works!! Only bad is they rust easy...it has a few places needing attention.

Not The Greatest...Mediocre
By Krissy on 08/16/09 14:31 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 194,000 miles on it back in Feb. and it ran BETTER than a new car. I let my friend drive it for a month, due to lack of driveway space, then stored it at my house. Maybe it sat too long (4 mos.) but started it every day until the battery AND fuel pump died on me. Another issue was a serious electrical problem with the left blinker flashing on and off when it wanted to! I sold it for $200 and was happy to be rid of this expensive-to-fix car! I will never buy the "90 or '91 models ever again. I might consider a '92-'96 body style models. But these are definitely overrated. I was very disappointed- thought they last until the 400,000 mile mark!

Very Disappointed Former Camry Owner!!!!
By Kris on 08/12/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

WHAT a disappointment! Starting from the test drive, I had this gut feeling something wasn't quite right. The test-ride was great and it drove like new! When the sales guy accompanied me (I hate when they go with you!!) stating that I had the vehicle out too long, a red flag came up. I still bought it, then I stored it at a friend's and was happy. The mileage was 194K at the time of purchase and right after I washed it at a car wash, the fuel pump died! Also, it had a major electrical problem (the left blinker wouldn't go out!!) and I couldn't afford to fix it. I will never buy the older model again! Only the '92-'96 models and this time will have it mechanically checked out thoroughly!!!!!

First Car Ever Owned
By Dave on 04/27/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this from my grandfather when he passed in 2006 with 38K miles. I currently have it up to 90K and it needs about 3g's worth of work, so I'm looking for a new car. However this car has been super reliable and loyal. I'm depressed that it needs to be replaced but it's 20 years old and I beat the heck out of it the last 3 years. I'm going to be a toyota/lexus fan for life based on my impressions from this car.

I'll NEVER Part With It!!
By Kris on 02/10/09 11:01 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This is the 2nd Camry (this body style) I've owned (got rid of 1st one- a '90, due to expensive valve job needed) since 2004 and let me tell you, I will literally keep it until it or I bite the dust! I LOVE the body style, both in & out, and with 193,000 miles, you'd never know it. Luckily, this baby has only highway miles. Someone really was meticulous about the maintenance and is from North Jersey. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with it and is a gas saver, not a guzzler! The interior looks brand new with no stains, rips, or holes in the cloth fabric. The mpg is terrific-28/35, I believe. NOT A THING wrong with her! I felt safe on the test-drive and smiled the whole time!

Totally Impressed!
By Happy Man! on 02/07/07 18:35 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

My Toyota Camry has been a pleasure to drive. It is a well built, solid and very dependable car. There were just over 200K on the odometer when I bought the car. A buddy of mine called and said he needed to sell the car so we agreed on a price and I took it on the spot! I have been totally impressed to own and drive my Camry!

Didn't Know I Could LOVE a Car So Much!
By A Roundy on 11/01/06 23:15 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, had lots of new cars before, but just couldn't believe I could love ANY car so much! Fun to drive mountains, 4cyl manual 5-spd, JUMPS up from SAC to Tahoe. Low CG, loves curves! Always Over 30 mpg, even in town, but 33 to 35 on the highway. I then bought a new 2001, but maybe with a higher CG, it didn't drive as well. I kept it in my garage and drove the '91! Still going strong now at 192,000 miles. Changed timing belt at ~100,000 mi, Not 75,000, but belt was still perfect. Only 2 drawbacks: 1. Radio controls are too low down to see road at the same time, and 2. That year, mine did not have airbags.