Used 1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

"old" Toyota quality
By Steve

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1991 Camry from my in- laws in 1999 with 83,000 miles. Now at 250,000 miles, I can see why Toyota was dominant in the durability department with these cars. Recently our 4cyl. model on a 525 mile round trip got a record of 39.5pmg with only me in it, but used about 3/4 of a quart of oil. Living in the salt belt has taken a toll on its sheet metal, especially around the rear wheel wells. It does lack power but makes up for it in a smooth and reliable ride. After all of Toyota's recalls lately, I wonder if they will ever make a reliable car like this one again? If I was going newer, I may want to switch to a Honda next time. Toyota went too big too fast and its quality shows!

Favorite Features

Dependability! Awesome transmission and good mpg. Visibility with the larger windows is excellent all around (not like today's cars.) It's a car you don't worry about, its good and both you and the car know it. 1991 paint on those cars are excellent. Deep shine and bright colors on non rusty parts.

Suggested Improvements

Better anti corrosion sheet metal. Stainless steel brake lines and that's about it.

Great car, kinda rusty though
By Steve

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1991 Camry from our in-laws with 83,000 miles on it in 1999. Now its nearing 250,000 miles and it still runs/ drives great. The 4 cyl. isn't the quickest, especially with the A/C on, but its gets 33+ mpg highway regularly. No squeaks or rattles inside, the cloth seats are holding up extremely well, but the clincher for me is the auto- transmission is rock solid. If Toyota could have made the car bodies less prone to rust during these years, this probably would be one of the best cars we have ever owned. Period. If you only could put Toyota powertrains into Chevy car bodies? I can only hope

Favorite Features

Simple durability. Rock solid shifting from the 4 speed auto/ with OD. Its sad to think cars like this aren't made anymore. Very comfortable seats make long drives effortless.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a little more power for a 4 cyl. Also if it didn't rust as quickly as it did above wheel wells and door bottoms.

Mileage Improved
By MonkeyKing

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I have a '90 and '91 Camry. I bought the former new and it has 242K miles and the latter I bought mine '96 with 96K miles in Calif. and now it has 250K. This summer my gas mileage actually improved on the '91; I got 36 mpg in highway driving when I never had better than 33. I've done the usual maintenance work and am conscientious about changing the oil. I've driven these cars in New Hampshire and now in Minnesota. Rust is starting to show on the '91 and it kills me to think rust and peripherals such as freezing locks and sagging seats will destroy the cars before the engine dies. I am writing to advise anyone living in the sunbelt to never hesitate to buy this Camry.

Favorite Features

Reliability, size to carry four comfortable and luggage, ease of maintenance, clear views through all the windows without any annoying posts in the wrong positions, comfortable and relatively quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Exposing spark plug to make them easier to remove without leaving a socket wrench wrap inside the spark plug tunnel.

Good Car!!
By Will

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought it for my daily commute car (100 mi a day), it has been excellent! The car now has over 318k, uses approx 1 qt oil between changes, gets 32-35 mpg as runs great!! Keep up with the maintenance & they'll last a long time. I'd buy a newer one if I had the money, it is a great car & EVERY one still works!! Only bad is they rust easy...it has a few places needing attention.

Favorite Features

Power seat belts.

Suggested Improvements

less rust

Not The Greatest...Mediocre
By Krissy

1991 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 194,000 miles on it back in Feb. and it ran BETTER than a new car. I let my friend drive it for a month, due to lack of driveway space, then stored it at my house. Maybe it sat too long (4 mos.) but started it every day until the battery AND fuel pump died on me. Another issue was a serious electrical problem with the left blinker flashing on and off when it wanted to! I sold it for $200 and was happy to be rid of this expensive-to-fix car! I will never buy the "90 or '91 models ever again. I might consider a '92-'96 body style models. But these are definitely overrated. I was very disappointed- thought they last until the 400,000 mile mark!

Favorite Features

Peppy 2.0 engine, lots of interior/trunk space, comfort, smooth ride (when it ran)!

Suggested Improvements

Build longer lasting parts (fuel pump), too rust-prone, the automatic power locks need to be ELIMINATED- they locked me out of my car with keys still in ignition! (Thank God It Wasn't Running!)and cupholders in a bad location. This car literally died on me about 1 minute after I washed it!