Used 1991 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Good riddance
By brilliant2menu

1991 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Hi, I will avoid profanity........... Was my first car, parents forced me to buy it, I knew NOTHING about cars. EVERYONE said Camry is THE BEST, so I bought one. It tormented me, spent THOUSANDS repairing this car even with only 56,000 miles...... now, I am a Sedan fan, always LOVED Cressidas but I was young and parents said NO to a 6 cylinder. To make it short, it was stolen twice and crashed, parents forced me to drive it. So it wasn't just a very bland and baseline "people mover" it was bent back to legal regulations to drive since it had already ate most of my savings as a kid......... I drive a 1989 Toyota Cressida, most amazing car, it has it all, I even cringe at the sound of "Camry"

Favorite Features

It.......... kept the rain out........ though sometimes I was so embarrassed to be seen in it that I even thought that walking was a better option.

Suggested Improvements

Yeah, Toyota Windom would have made a better Camry......... no wonder I only saw this car once in Japan.......... abandoned in the country side in a ditch

Toyota Quality?
By Joshua Reed

1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I've really have some problems with it. For one, this car is designed for small people, and at 6'1" 235, i don't fall into that category. The body roll is lugubirous and i've had a lot of problems with shorts in the electrical system. But the real kicker is the fact the auto transmission is horrible. First, it had a tendency to drop into 1st if i tried to accelerate too hard on the highway, redlining the engine and lowering my speed by about 10 mi/hr. Then, just recently, it's been randomly going into 3rd at about 10 mi/hr, leaving me stranded with no torque to speak of.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

most of them have been made in later camry models. this car is just targeted at a market of which i am not a part

Problem Car
By Gp

1991 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as my first car, and had nothing but problems. It has 86K when i bought it for $4k. Since then i've put 20k miles on it and $6k in repairs. I still can't get my tail lights to work, no matter how many people look at it, and my engine is slower the a horse and buggy. This car has problems.

Favorite Features

Automatic Seatbelts (when they work), the little lights on the dashboard that tell you what gear your in.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, seats, interior, paint, room, comfort, RIMS, working lights, working windows.

I love this car!
By kl1013

1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan AWD

My uncle gave me a base model 1991 camry for my first car. And boy was it a great first car. it got me from point A to point B, It survived three separated car accidents, with body damage only. luckily my dad was able to fix the car every time. and it even had a name, Cameron. But sadly one day one my way to class my steering locked up while I was turning, and my engine shut off completely. and when I turned my engine back on, every time it would only run for a few minutes and shut off again. we got it towed to the mechanic and that was the last of my little camry. I cried like I had lost a person. but it was a wonderful year and a half, and I would recommend this car to anybody.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

battery life

Very Disappointed Former Camry Owner!!!!
By Kris

1991 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

WHAT a disappointment! Starting from the test drive, I had this gut feeling something wasn't quite right. The test-ride was great and it drove like new! When the sales guy accompanied me (I hate when they go with you!!) stating that I had the vehicle out too long, a red flag came up. I still bought it, then I stored it at a friend's and was happy. The mileage was 194K at the time of purchase and right after I washed it at a car wash, the fuel pump died! Also, it had a major electrical problem (the left blinker wouldn't go out!!) and I couldn't afford to fix it. I will never buy the older model again! Only the '92-'96 models and this time will have it mechanically checked out thoroughly!!!!!

Favorite Features

Nice exterior body design, very quiet engine, very comfortable seats, lots of power for a 2.0L. Excellent suspension and front end stability, plenty of interior/trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better and longer lasting fuel pump, improve on the common rust on wheel wells, (both front and rear) cupholders in a better location, improve/upgrade all electrical parts and better center console.