1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Takes a Lickin & keeps on Tick

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

Takes a Lickin & keeps on Tickin
By Mike S. on

1990 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan

I bought my Camry right after 9/11 at a public auction for about a grand after taxes and stuff. It was used and abused at 200,000 miles and still runs good at 271,000 miles. I always said that I would get tired of this car before it got tired of me, and I was right. I'll probably be selling "Hillary" soon, and the new owner won't be getting a lemon either. Repairs have been few and far between, a couple alternators (non-Toyota replacements), a broken timing belt (probably the original), power window motor, etc. It's hard to drive a car with so little power in a city these days, but I do most of my driving in rural Illinois anyway.

Comfortable seat. Good interior layout. Reliability. Smooth ride, even at 75+ MPH . Decent handling, but nothing to get excited about. Good interior size, and a surprisingly large trunk.

Too much rust, we don't all live in sunny arid climates where nothing ever rusts! No freaking power. MPG could be better, but then again this is a car from another era.