1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: They don't build them like thi

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

LE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

They don't build them like this anymore
By cjleary83 on

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

For what it is, my 1990 Camry is by far the best car I've owned. It's built to get you from point A to point B comfortably and reliably, and that's exactly what it does. I've owned it since 2001 (second owner) and other than oil changes, batteries, and headlights, I've never had to have any work done on it. May have recharged the ac once. I also own an 07 Subaru legacy, and I actually keep it in the garage most of the time, because there's no point putting miles on it while the Camry still runs perfectly. Sure, it's not the prettiest car and it's not going to win any races, but for a daily driver, this is an ideal machine. Gas mileage is decent and it's dirt cheap to insure.

Reliability. Period. This car is more dependable than Abe Lincoln. It's 24 years old, all original engine parts, and it runs like I just drove it off the lot. Granted, it's low mileage, less than 120k, and I take good care of it, but that's still pretty impressive. The amenities are not bad either, power windows, ac, cruise control, all basic these days but a nice find in a 90. Performance is decent at best, but if you're buying a 1990 Camry, you're not looking for speed and acceleration. It'll do 90 on the highway easily enough though.

The only problems I've run into are corrosion, which is to be expected in a car that has been exposed to 24 New England winters. The undercarriage is starting to rot a bit and will probably need new exhaust soon. Electrical system is a little weak, too. You'll notice a drop in power when you run a lot of systems at once (I.e., if you run the wipers, heat, headlights, defroster, and radio at the same time, you'll notice the lights dim and the wipers get sluggish.)