Had a few problems
By jerrymax on
1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan
I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.
Favorite Features
Great gas mileage with inline-4 and manny tranny, comfortable ride for a small car, ample room for 5 people, nice traction with Aqua-tread tires.
Suggested Improvements
Too late now for that model, as it expired in 1991. I suspect many of those problems have since been addressed but I still believe Toyota's reputation for reliability is over-rated, as recent recalls in year 2010 seem to confirm.