Used 1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Takes a Lickin & keeps on Tickin
By Mike S.

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Camry right after 9/11 at a public auction for about a grand after taxes and stuff. It was used and abused at 200,000 miles and still runs good at 271,000 miles. I always said that I would get tired of this car before it got tired of me, and I was right. I'll probably be selling "Hillary" soon, and the new owner won't be getting a lemon either. Repairs have been few and far between, a couple alternators (non-Toyota replacements), a broken timing belt (probably the original), power window motor, etc. It's hard to drive a car with so little power in a city these days, but I do most of my driving in rural Illinois anyway.

Comfortable seat. Good interior layout. Reliability. Smooth ride, even at 75+ MPH . Decent handling, but nothing to get excited about. Good interior size, and a surprisingly large trunk.

Too much rust, we don't all live in sunny arid climates where nothing ever rusts! No freaking power. MPG could be better, but then again this is a car from another era.

The real energizer bunny!
By glennno

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This was purchased ($900.00) for my at the time 25 year old learning to drive wife. She didn't want a new car, for fear of destroying it (NYC). The car had 96,000 miles and we put a tranny in it for $1500.00 six months later. So $2400.00. It was stolen and recovered after missing for a week, funny thing is the thief was pulled over because HE kept driving it 6 days later. Any way moved to Florida in 2006, it now has 209,453 miles and I only put another $200 dollars in it for a new radiator. This is the BEST built car ever!!!

Reliability... bottom line

Rust on the wheel wells.

I love ths car!
By jake

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Just bought it today! $2000 Cdn 1990 Camry auto 4cyl 2.0 l recently painted - very classic look! 131000 km, new tires, recent brakes, new paint and smooth smooth smooth Not the best pick up, but I'm gonna just cruise.

Smooth ride

Standard transmission? and a little more pep

Good car
By my first car

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I was 15. It's a fun car to drive and the engine has enough power, it's just I would like a little more. I have put this car through hell literally. I have got it up to 124 MPH on the highway and there was almost nothing shaking. I've had it rocking on the side of the road it was stuck on a curb and me and my friends had to push it off. The cornering is amazing, the reliability is ridiculous I would recommend this to anybody who would want a car.

Gas mileage ain't half bad and it is a smaller car.

It would be nice to have a tach.

Great little car
By Cutshaw

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

If you find one of these in decent shape used buy it. Smart design, reliability all around, not hard to work on, easy regular maintenance, not too cramped despite being a small car. If you're savvy with the manual transmission you'll get well over 30mpg. Handles well at high speeds. I got this one a year ago and have put 15,000 miles on it, now at 148k and no problems. Doesn't have the best theft protection though. Mine was stolen and recovered 6 weeks later, a coat hanger through the foam door insulation pops the lock instantly and somehow they started it without a key or hot wiring it. Seems the ignition lock isn't very 'precise'. Invest in a crook lock.

Oil filter right on top, if you DRAIN the oil first none pours out onto the engine (duh!). Don't need to jack it up to remove the drain plug either (if you're not too rotund that is). Good acceleration with the stick shift. Everything still works after 18 years!

Not the best traction in snow/rain, rust around the wheels wells. Way too easy to steal.