1990 Toyota Camry Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1990 Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Sort Reviews by

Powerfully Reliable, NO RUST either
By citizenkane

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me from my parents, remember getting it from the dealer at age three. 140k miles, park it outside in the cold and salt of Evanston, Illinois, which has taken its toll somewhat. Still no rust, however, even around the wheel wells- a common gripe. The V6 is an amazing engine, when coupled with such a light car it can outrun 2006 model sedans with 220 horsepower. "Power" mode is ridiculously fun. Fuel economy is okay, around 19 for mostly city driving. However, it's a small price to pay for a car so ridiculously fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Power moonroof, V6 pickup and "turbo-lag," lack of rust after 16 years

Suggested Improvements

brakes a bit iffy, design becoming dated

The Perfect Car
By A.J. Sub

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is as good as it gets. If you can find one that doesn't have rust on it, count on it running at least another 10 years. This was the old family car that was passed on to me, it has a solid 420,000km on it. Its now the car me and my friends use while on campus. While my dad had it, the torque converter went, that was the only major issue with it. It had its wheel bearings replaced thereafter. Aside from that, this is the perfect car for a dirty cheap price. If you treat this car to good maintenance, it'll stand by you forever! I've pushed this up to 160km/h last month without much effort. GREAT CAR. One of the finest vehicles ever made.

Favorite Features

The fact that it still runs! I don't think any other car can claim this level of reliability. This car is also fully servicable yourself. I do all my own maintenance work and no fancy dealership visits are required like newer cars. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR SO MUCH!

Suggested Improvements

As everyone knows, this car tends to rust up unless rustproofing was done from day one. Considering Toyota was just breaking through with this car in North America, you can't blame them. If your body is good, this car will last FOREVER. YOU CAN'T STOP IT!

Fine car, no reservations at all!
By bobkni

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Always a solid, reliable car to own. I bought it new and still have it in 2005... 15 years and not a single problem.

1990 Toyota Camry LE 6 cylinder 4 door s
By Hankus

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

purchased 5/1990 , new 3000 mi Demo. Regular service 3000 mi. and maintained. Drives nicely. Cruise control, drivers window, 2 lowest levels of heater, AC fan not operating. Some rust, especially right rear fender, some on left rear fender. Touches of rust on front fenders. White with golden tan upholstery. Used daily for local driving and has been dependable.

Favorite Features

Excellent all around vision, reason for keeping so long . Tires still good.

Suggested Improvements

Repair accessories listed above.

Good Car
By Doug

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

A pretty good car overall. It good have used a little stronger engine and better brakes. Interior was ok and could have used little more room especially for taller drivers. Reliability was good.

Time Will Tell
By pearscor

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

First time Toyota buyer. Bought it with 88000 miles on it. Near perfect condition, inside, out, engine were super clean. Had vibration in steering wheel, replaced tires and that fixed it. It did have a high cold idle problem, cleaned idle control valve and idles much lower at startup. Now engine light comes on for minute just as engine warms up, I think it's a EGR Temp Sensor (Common on Calf. Camry's), tried cleaning it, didn't work. May try putting resistor in the connector like others have done to see if that works. Car does seem to be well made. Hope it lasts as long as others say it will, but time will tell.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission. Decent gas mileage. Pretty comfortable seats. Overall workmanship of the car, especially electrical and mechanical. I like the "Power" button on the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Frame stiffness. Automatic seat belts. Center console. Could use a little more horsepower, although I'm used to a newer V6 24V engine. New brakes squeak, seems to be an issue with these cars.

V6 Camry Smooth as Silk
By MacCamry

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I found a V6 Camry that was faithfully maintained by the previous owner and couldn't be happier with my purchase. With over 160K miles it still feels like a new car. No sports car handling, but smooth quiet and completely reliable. Driving this car it is easy to forget how old it is.

Favorite Features

Silky smooth V6 is quick. Ride is very smooth, though not sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. Remember this year is smaller than the newer models. Still big enough for fair amount of people or packages.

My Most Reliable Car Ever
By Mark S.

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I've got 197,700 miles on my Camry and it still runs great! Not sure you can kill these vehicles. Everything remains in excellent working condition, including power locks, power windows and air conditioning that often are problematic on some other older vehicles. I've spent less than $2,000 on repairs and maintenance on this car over the last 10 years, including wear and tear items like tires and brakes.

Favorite Features

Reliability, creature comforts like power windows and locks.

Suggested Improvements

Frame is starting to creak and I'm told this is a common occurance. Spoils what otherwise is a vehicle that performs as well today as the day I bought it.

Will last forever if used well
By Sharkthefisher

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

My parents purchased the car last year at 192K and now has 206K and the engine is still running great. It's a stickshift and I enjoyed driving it. The car is mine now since my parents got a 96Le. The only major problem with the car right now is that it has a major clutch problem and is required to replace the whole set costing around 340 bucks which is not too bad for a car of that age. It has a 4 cyl and you'd be amazed the power it has. But as soon as it got fixed I am planning to use it well because I know those engine's last forever and I am not the first person who said that.

Favorite Features

nice interior and exterior styling, manuel transmission, smooth 4 cyl engine, great gas mileage, decent stereo w/ 4 speakers, and a reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

More firm suspension, comfortable interior material, normal seatbelts I never liked the automatic seatbelts.

Reliability and low maintaince
By Alissa Conant

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My car has 242,000 miles and it still runs great. It has some minor quirks, but overall this is a fantastic car. I forsee it running for another 50,000 miles with regular maintaince. By the way, it has NEVER broke down on me.