Used 1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

230K still going
By Aninika

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

My father forced me into buying the little car and it took some time for me to like it. The radiator went shortly after receiving it in '08. Then the starter went and had to be rebuilt, the overdrive is going, it ended up with severed brake lines and there's an oil and gas leak (gas leaks if filled over 9 gallons). Also the cruise control died. The car got around 18- 24mpg, but got me where I needed to go put about as much money into it as I paid for it. Wish I could have taken it to college with me. Not a bad car for a first one even with 200k miles on it.

little maintenance, great size, lasts forever, power windows, automatic locks

mpg, better design

best car ever
By NWREDNK

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is what gave Toyota the great reputation it enjoyed for 20 yrs until the recall problems today! Last spring I had the engine rebuilt and installed it myself to enjoy it for the next 20 yrs as it gets 20 mpg city & 34 mpg hwy! (Manual transmission) 5 spd!

Great sound system as I play cds from Hank Williams to Metallica!

A tighter steering radius as I have also owned a 1990 vw passat that only bested the Toyota by making a tighter u turn!

Great Car
By Jon

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The option of normal and performance driving is great. You can be tricked into felling like you are riding in a manual b/c in normal the torque converter locks up and make shifting a little rougher, while in performance it can rev to higher rpms letting you get more power. This car is light so it can fell sporty only independent suspension which gives it a smooth ride gives body roll.

Power everything, faster than most new cars when modded.

You must replace head unit and replacement of the speakers is advisable, but you can do it yourself(if not already done).

Great car and great find
By lukaskliz

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan AWD

I stumbled upon this great find last week, and I had to buy this car after all the reviews I read about it. It has only 55,683 original miles and looks like its only 1 year old. Belong to an elderly couple that never drove it. Paid $2,905 and I'm sure I will have to have some maintenance done, but I hope that it last over 200,000 like the ones I have been reading about. It drives excellent right now, and passed the tough California emissions test without a problem.

Smooth ride, handling, design, and most of all build quality. These kinds of cars only come around once in a while.

None right now. I hope more cars are built like this.

Great car for its age 169,000 plus miles
By Papun

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

With the biggest been the plastics. They tend to be brittle and brake easy, and the fact that you have to buy a couple of specialized books to help you get data and work on the car, and "the sometimes" costly parts. Mileage is great even with the A/C ON all the time. Similar in look with some other models from the same year. Performance is great if you look for a family oriented car. But for real "performance" it is to low for my taste. Needs more power. Mine is 4 cylinders EFI like any other four engine. Maintenance is very easy! Always remember to use 50/50 mixture in coolant system or the head my suffer, and at about $550+ is expensive. Head gasket set is on the $70+. Is a good car.

The A/C is great. Adjustment on the seats is different. Space is average and comfortable. Easy reach for all components inside the car radio, ac, tray, center console, etc. Wheels size is good at 14 inches. Its a 1990 car with high mileage and still going! What can I say!

Disc brakes in all four wheels. Driving/fog lights for night driving. Sport steering wheel. Steel non slip pedals.