Used 1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Had a few problems
By jerrymax

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.

Great gas mileage with inline-4 and manny tranny, comfortable ride for a small car, ample room for 5 people, nice traction with Aqua-tread tires.

Too late now for that model, as it expired in 1991. I suspect many of those problems have since been addressed but I still believe Toyota's reputation for reliability is over-rated, as recent recalls in year 2010 seem to confirm.

230K still going
By Aninika

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

My father forced me into buying the little car and it took some time for me to like it. The radiator went shortly after receiving it in '08. Then the starter went and had to be rebuilt, the overdrive is going, it ended up with severed brake lines and there's an oil and gas leak (gas leaks if filled over 9 gallons). Also the cruise control died. The car got around 18- 24mpg, but got me where I needed to go put about as much money into it as I paid for it. Wish I could have taken it to college with me. Not a bad car for a first one even with 200k miles on it.

little maintenance, great size, lasts forever, power windows, automatic locks

mpg, better design

best car ever
By NWREDNK

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is what gave Toyota the great reputation it enjoyed for 20 yrs until the recall problems today! Last spring I had the engine rebuilt and installed it myself to enjoy it for the next 20 yrs as it gets 20 mpg city & 34 mpg hwy! (Manual transmission) 5 spd!

Great sound system as I play cds from Hank Williams to Metallica!

A tighter steering radius as I have also owned a 1990 vw passat that only bested the Toyota by making a tighter u turn!

Great Car
By Jon

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The option of normal and performance driving is great. You can be tricked into felling like you are riding in a manual b/c in normal the torque converter locks up and make shifting a little rougher, while in performance it can rev to higher rpms letting you get more power. This car is light so it can fell sporty only independent suspension which gives it a smooth ride gives body roll.

Power everything, faster than most new cars when modded.

You must replace head unit and replacement of the speakers is advisable, but you can do it yourself(if not already done).

Great car and great find
By lukaskliz

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan AWD

I stumbled upon this great find last week, and I had to buy this car after all the reviews I read about it. It has only 55,683 original miles and looks like its only 1 year old. Belong to an elderly couple that never drove it. Paid $2,905 and I'm sure I will have to have some maintenance done, but I hope that it last over 200,000 like the ones I have been reading about. It drives excellent right now, and passed the tough California emissions test without a problem.

Smooth ride, handling, design, and most of all build quality. These kinds of cars only come around once in a while.

None right now. I hope more cars are built like this.