Used 1990 Toyota Camry Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

350k!!!!
By mrspeedster

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

i just keeps going!! this is my bf's car, he bought it at 100k 11 years ago (he and i both do alot of cross country driving) all we have done is speakers and radio 110k, serpentine 145k, water pump 190k, fuel pump 250k, front tie rod and front and rear struts 300k (he hopped a curb at 70 mph and that is all it did!) we are really hoping for 400k, and btw at that point talk to your toyota dealer, i have heard of people with their high milage toyotas trading in for a brand new toyota of the same model for F R E E E E E E E E (some advertizement thing) the parts are dirt cheap built like a tank (I hit 2 deers on a dirt road and went smack into a ditch, only a ding on the hood and grill)

still gets 37mpg hwy, 29 city and can see over 40 if a wind is behind (partially do to modified exhaust -- whole thing snapped before the catalytic conv. because of rust, replaced with straight pipe and a cheapo muffler, no cat, still silent) holy trunk... literally. i can double fist it from underneath. (don't judge it's a convenience feature!) him hitting a telephone pole resulted in a ash hole passenger side mirror (convenient for smokers!) hopping a speed bump resulted in a "wiggle it" trunk (hold the key in and wiggle alot to open. Security feature!)

no matter what happens it just keeps going!! very very highly recommended for any school or work car!

230K still going
By Aninika

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

My father forced me into buying the little car and it took some time for me to like it. The radiator went shortly after receiving it in '08. Then the starter went and had to be rebuilt, the overdrive is going, it ended up with severed brake lines and there's an oil and gas leak (gas leaks if filled over 9 gallons). Also the cruise control died. The car got around 18- 24mpg, but got me where I needed to go put about as much money into it as I paid for it. Wish I could have taken it to college with me. Not a bad car for a first one even with 200k miles on it.

little maintenance, great size, lasts forever, power windows, automatic locks

mpg, better design

Great car for its age 169,000 plus miles
By Papun

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

With the biggest been the plastics. They tend to be brittle and brake easy, and the fact that you have to buy a couple of specialized books to help you get data and work on the car, and "the sometimes" costly parts. Mileage is great even with the A/C ON all the time. Similar in look with some other models from the same year. Performance is great if you look for a family oriented car. But for real "performance" it is to low for my taste. Needs more power. Mine is 4 cylinders EFI like any other four engine. Maintenance is very easy! Always remember to use 50/50 mixture in coolant system or the head my suffer, and at about $550+ is expensive. Head gasket set is on the $70+. Is a good car.

The A/C is great. Adjustment on the seats is different. Space is average and comfortable. Easy reach for all components inside the car radio, ac, tray, center console, etc. Wheels size is good at 14 inches. Its a 1990 car with high mileage and still going! What can I say!

Disc brakes in all four wheels. Driving/fog lights for night driving. Sport steering wheel. Steel non slip pedals.

It's a Beast
By Jeff...

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was grabbed from my cousin who got it from my grandma, he ran it into the ground. We jump it, drift it, everything, cruises super smooth at 80+ it will not stop. Currently its getting bearing and struts, the struts were so bad it would launch someone if they were jumping on the front bumper. The manual is amazing and the gear ratio for a 5 speed beats anything around!

Manual, if you know how to drive you can get alot of power from it, the tight E-brake, low profile of the body, huge trunk space. Engine is super easy to work on, oil filters in a perfect position.

Head space, needs a little more. That's about it!

Takes a Lickin & keeps on Tickin
By Mike S.

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Camry right after 9/11 at a public auction for about a grand after taxes and stuff. It was used and abused at 200,000 miles and still runs good at 271,000 miles. I always said that I would get tired of this car before it got tired of me, and I was right. I'll probably be selling "Hillary" soon, and the new owner won't be getting a lemon either. Repairs have been few and far between, a couple alternators (non-Toyota replacements), a broken timing belt (probably the original), power window motor, etc. It's hard to drive a car with so little power in a city these days, but I do most of my driving in rural Illinois anyway.

Comfortable seat. Good interior layout. Reliability. Smooth ride, even at 75+ MPH . Decent handling, but nothing to get excited about. Good interior size, and a surprisingly large trunk.

Too much rust, we don't all live in sunny arid climates where nothing ever rusts! No freaking power. MPG could be better, but then again this is a car from another era.