Used 1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
It keeps on ticking
By Tony

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this beauty from my Aunt Mary. V-6 auto, loaded. It let me down once so far. Bad coil. I cringe at changing the three rear spark plugs!(V- 6). Wheel well rust. Thanks for the road salt New York! Aunt Mary was right, It is a Japanese Cadillac! I love the POWER button, she moves. I love this car and will drive it as long as I can. It has 92,000 on it so far. For a twenty year old car, it can't be beat! Thanks Aunt Mary!

Favorite Features

V6 power. Power everything. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Engine work access(V6) You have to remove the intake manifold to get at the rear spark plugs! Shorter turning radius. Period retracting seat belts. Since I hate using seat belts, maybe this shouldn't be a negative!

best car ever
By NWREDNK

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is what gave Toyota the great reputation it enjoyed for 20 yrs until the recall problems today! Last spring I had the engine rebuilt and installed it myself to enjoy it for the next 20 yrs as it gets 20 mpg city & 34 mpg hwy! (Manual transmission) 5 spd!

Favorite Features

Great sound system as I play cds from Hank Williams to Metallica!

Suggested Improvements

A tighter steering radius as I have also owned a 1990 vw passat that only bested the Toyota by making a tighter u turn!

Had a few problems
By jerrymax

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage with inline-4 and manny tranny, comfortable ride for a small car, ample room for 5 people, nice traction with Aqua-tread tires.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now for that model, as it expired in 1991. I suspect many of those problems have since been addressed but I still believe Toyota's reputation for reliability is over-rated, as recent recalls in year 2010 seem to confirm.

Build to last
By mike

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for fun I thought of it as a piece of junk but it is a great car. I have two other cars and they are so complicated to work - this is like a piece of cake

Favorite Features

the engine and trans

Suggested Improvements

better paint quality

Great Car
By Jon

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The option of normal and performance driving is great. You can be tricked into felling like you are riding in a manual b/c in normal the torque converter locks up and make shifting a little rougher, while in performance it can rev to higher rpms letting you get more power. This car is light so it can fell sporty only independent suspension which gives it a smooth ride gives body roll.

Favorite Features

Power everything, faster than most new cars when modded.

Suggested Improvements

You must replace head unit and replacement of the speakers is advisable, but you can do it yourself(if not already done).