1990 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
They don't build them like this anymore
By cjleary83 on 04/01/14 17:39 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

For what it is, my 1990 Camry is by far the best car I've owned. It's built to get you from point A to point B comfortably and reliably, and that's exactly what it does. I've owned it since 2001 (second owner) and other than oil changes, batteries, and headlights, I've never had to have any work done on it. May have recharged the ac once. I also own an 07 Subaru legacy, and I actually keep it in the garage most of the time, because there's no point putting miles on it while the Camry still runs perfectly. Sure, it's not the prettiest car and it's not going to win any races, but for a daily driver, this is an ideal machine. Gas mileage is decent and it's dirt cheap to insure.

350k!!!!
By mrspeedster on 04/05/12 07:42 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

i just keeps going!! this is my bf's car, he bought it at 100k 11 years ago (he and i both do alot of cross country driving) all we have done is speakers and radio 110k, serpentine 145k, water pump 190k, fuel pump 250k, front tie rod and front and rear struts 300k (he hopped a curb at 70 mph and that is all it did!) we are really hoping for 400k, and btw at that point talk to your toyota dealer, i have heard of people with their high milage toyotas trading in for a brand new toyota of the same model for F R E E E E E E E E (some advertizement thing) the parts are dirt cheap built like a tank (I hit 2 deers on a dirt road and went smack into a ditch, only a ding on the hood and grill)

Hoping for 400k
By thefranks5 on 05/27/11 20:32 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan AWD

I have two Toyota Camrys. We liked the 1990 so much, we bought a 1991. Essentially, their twins... except one is a manual shift, one an automatic. My wife wishes it would die, so she could get a new one. The 90 has 251,900 miles and still gets between 29-34 mph. Still use it on my 180-mile commute. No real mechanical problems, other than regular maintenance. Timing belts, water pump, cv boots, tires, etc. The major key to it's longevity is regular oil and filter changes -- every 3k -- plus a good oil additive, Hilton Hyperlube or Lucas or Slick50. I'm hopeful it will make to 400k. Would love to know what % of Camrys make it over 300 or 400k

It keeps on ticking
By Tony on 06/27/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this beauty from my Aunt Mary. V-6 auto, loaded. It let me down once so far. Bad coil. I cringe at changing the three rear spark plugs!(V- 6). Wheel well rust. Thanks for the road salt New York! Aunt Mary was right, It is a Japanese Cadillac! I love the POWER button, she moves. I love this car and will drive it as long as I can. It has 92,000 on it so far. For a twenty year old car, it can't be beat! Thanks Aunt Mary!

Had a few problems
By jerrymax on 05/22/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.

230K still going
By Aninika on 03/14/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

My father forced me into buying the little car and it took some time for me to like it. The radiator went shortly after receiving it in '08. Then the starter went and had to be rebuilt, the overdrive is going, it ended up with severed brake lines and there's an oil and gas leak (gas leaks if filled over 9 gallons). Also the cruise control died. The car got around 18- 24mpg, but got me where I needed to go put about as much money into it as I paid for it. Wish I could have taken it to college with me. Not a bad car for a first one even with 200k miles on it.

best car ever
By NWREDNK on 03/14/10 05:12 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is what gave Toyota the great reputation it enjoyed for 20 yrs until the recall problems today! Last spring I had the engine rebuilt and installed it myself to enjoy it for the next 20 yrs as it gets 20 mpg city & 34 mpg hwy! (Manual transmission) 5 spd!

Great Car
By Jon on 02/07/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The option of normal and performance driving is great. You can be tricked into felling like you are riding in a manual b/c in normal the torque converter locks up and make shifting a little rougher, while in performance it can rev to higher rpms letting you get more power. This car is light so it can fell sporty only independent suspension which gives it a smooth ride gives body roll.

Great car and great find
By lukaskliz on 01/12/10 13:07 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan AWD

I stumbled upon this great find last week, and I had to buy this car after all the reviews I read about it. It has only 55,683 original miles and looks like its only 1 year old. Belong to an elderly couple that never drove it. Paid $2,905 and I'm sure I will have to have some maintenance done, but I hope that it last over 200,000 like the ones I have been reading about. It drives excellent right now, and passed the tough California emissions test without a problem.

Great car for its age 169,000 plus miles
By Papun on 12/20/09 08:00 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan

With the biggest been the plastics. They tend to be brittle and brake easy, and the fact that you have to buy a couple of specialized books to help you get data and work on the car, and "the sometimes" costly parts. Mileage is great even with the A/C ON all the time. Similar in look with some other models from the same year. Performance is great if you look for a family oriented car. But for real "performance" it is to low for my taste. Needs more power. Mine is 4 cylinders EFI like any other four engine. Maintenance is very easy! Always remember to use 50/50 mixture in coolant system or the head my suffer, and at about $550+ is expensive. Head gasket set is on the $70+. Is a good car.