Used 1990 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

They don't build them like this anymore
By cjleary83

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

For what it is, my 1990 Camry is by far the best car I've owned. It's built to get you from point A to point B comfortably and reliably, and that's exactly what it does. I've owned it since 2001 (second owner) and other than oil changes, batteries, and headlights, I've never had to have any work done on it. May have recharged the ac once. I also own an 07 Subaru legacy, and I actually keep it in the garage most of the time, because there's no point putting miles on it while the Camry still runs perfectly. Sure, it's not the prettiest car and it's not going to win any races, but for a daily driver, this is an ideal machine. Gas mileage is decent and it's dirt cheap to insure.

Reliability. Period. This car is more dependable than Abe Lincoln. It's 24 years old, all original engine parts, and it runs like I just drove it off the lot. Granted, it's low mileage, less than 120k, and I take good care of it, but that's still pretty impressive. The amenities are not bad either, power windows, ac, cruise control, all basic these days but a nice find in a 90. Performance is decent at best, but if you're buying a 1990 Camry, you're not looking for speed and acceleration. It'll do 90 on the highway easily enough though.

The only problems I've run into are corrosion, which is to be expected in a car that has been exposed to 24 New England winters. The undercarriage is starting to rot a bit and will probably need new exhaust soon. Electrical system is a little weak, too. You'll notice a drop in power when you run a lot of systems at once (I.e., if you run the wipers, heat, headlights, defroster, and radio at the same time, you'll notice the lights dim and the wipers get sluggish.)

Best Car EVER!
By Bill

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Camry with 55000 miles on it. I to this date have only put about 25000 miles on it after 5 and a half years. I look at it every day and hope that it gets me through the day, not because of its engine but because of the rust! This hands down is the best engineered automobile ever built!! I just love all its options and its comfort. It only has one fan speed now, and that high (thank god!), but other than that with routine oil changes etc, its a wonderful car. I am going to shed a tear when I have to turn it in to the junk yard. I will drive it to its death!

Sun roof, Electric drivers seat. Sport/Normal transmission mode. Auto off headlamps. Design.

None! Only wish they would make them look like this again.

320k and runs better than my new car
By Matt

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought it brand new in 1990 fully loaded and once I graduated high school, they passed it onto me in 1994. Since then I've owned 5 cars and every single one did not live up to the Camry. The car has been great! 320k on original engine and transmission and still runs like a champ! Gas mileage can be better but it's a V6 from the 1990s so not much complaint. No paint problems or rust. This car is most definitely going to stay with me till its not running. Toyota surely made this vehicle to last last and last. Props to them.

Power moonroof, comfortable leather seats, powerful engine, requires very little maintenance.

I love ths car!
By jake

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Just bought it today! $2000 Cdn 1990 Camry auto 4cyl 2.0 l recently painted - very classic look! 131000 km, new tires, recent brakes, new paint and smooth smooth smooth Not the best pick up, but I'm gonna just cruise.

Smooth ride

Standard transmission? and a little more pep

The Perfect Car
By A.J. Sub

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is as good as it gets. If you can find one that doesn't have rust on it, count on it running at least another 10 years. This was the old family car that was passed on to me, it has a solid 420,000km on it. Its now the car me and my friends use while on campus. While my dad had it, the torque converter went, that was the only major issue with it. It had its wheel bearings replaced thereafter. Aside from that, this is the perfect car for a dirty cheap price. If you treat this car to good maintenance, it'll stand by you forever! I've pushed this up to 160km/h last month without much effort. GREAT CAR. One of the finest vehicles ever made.

The fact that it still runs! I don't think any other car can claim this level of reliability. This car is also fully servicable yourself. I do all my own maintenance work and no fancy dealership visits are required like newer cars. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR SO MUCH!

As everyone knows, this car tends to rust up unless rustproofing was done from day one. Considering Toyota was just breaking through with this car in North America, you can't blame them. If your body is good, this car will last FOREVER. YOU CAN'T STOP IT!