1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
It keeps on ticking
By Tony on 06/27/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this beauty from my Aunt Mary. V-6 auto, loaded. It let me down once so far. Bad coil. I cringe at changing the three rear spark plugs!(V- 6). Wheel well rust. Thanks for the road salt New York! Aunt Mary was right, It is a Japanese Cadillac! I love the POWER button, she moves. I love this car and will drive it as long as I can. It has 92,000 on it so far. For a twenty year old car, it can't be beat! Thanks Aunt Mary!

Had a few problems
By jerrymax on 05/22/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.

best car ever
By NWREDNK on 03/14/10 05:12 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is what gave Toyota the great reputation it enjoyed for 20 yrs until the recall problems today! Last spring I had the engine rebuilt and installed it myself to enjoy it for the next 20 yrs as it gets 20 mpg city & 34 mpg hwy! (Manual transmission) 5 spd!

Great Car
By Jon on 02/07/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

The option of normal and performance driving is great. You can be tricked into felling like you are riding in a manual b/c in normal the torque converter locks up and make shifting a little rougher, while in performance it can rev to higher rpms letting you get more power. This car is light so it can fell sporty only independent suspension which gives it a smooth ride gives body roll.

Build to last
By mike on 04/04/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for fun I thought of it as a piece of junk but it is a great car. I have two other cars and they are so complicated to work - this is like a piece of cake

The little car that couldn't
By Kyle on 12/25/08 21:11 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle after my little Geo quit around Thanksgiving of 2007. By March of 2008 the reverse went out in the tranny. The tranny of the V6 version of this car is unable to sustain the heavy shifting required. I paid 2500 for the car and the new tranny was about to cost the same amount since it's almost impossible to find. Also paint oxidizing and poor handling in any kind of snow is common for this version. I got stuck in 4 inches of snow! How does that happen! I since purchased a 99 escort and have been very pleased with the results. when it comes to the older camrys just get the model with the inline 4 and you'll be fine.

The real energizer bunny!
By glennno on 07/12/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This was purchased ($900.00) for my at the time 25 year old learning to drive wife. She didn't want a new car, for fear of destroying it (NYC). The car had 96,000 miles and we put a tranny in it for $1500.00 six months later. So $2400.00. It was stolen and recovered after missing for a week, funny thing is the thief was pulled over because HE kept driving it 6 days later. Any way moved to Florida in 2006, it now has 209,453 miles and I only put another $200 dollars in it for a new radiator. This is the BEST built car ever!!!

Great little car
By Cutshaw on 12/30/07 10:49 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

If you find one of these in decent shape used buy it. Smart design, reliability all around, not hard to work on, easy regular maintenance, not too cramped despite being a small car. If you're savvy with the manual transmission you'll get well over 30mpg. Handles well at high speeds. I got this one a year ago and have put 15,000 miles on it, now at 148k and no problems. Doesn't have the best theft protection though. Mine was stolen and recovered 6 weeks later, a coat hanger through the foam door insulation pops the lock instantly and somehow they started it without a key or hot wiring it. Seems the ignition lock isn't very 'precise'. Invest in a crook lock.

Powerfully Reliable, NO RUST either
By citizenkane on 07/02/06 16:05 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me from my parents, remember getting it from the dealer at age three. 140k miles, park it outside in the cold and salt of Evanston, Illinois, which has taken its toll somewhat. Still no rust, however, even around the wheel wells- a common gripe. The V6 is an amazing engine, when coupled with such a light car it can outrun 2006 model sedans with 220 horsepower. "Power" mode is ridiculously fun. Fuel economy is okay, around 19 for mostly city driving. However, it's a small price to pay for a car so ridiculously fun to drive.

Fine car, no reservations at all!
By bobkni on 12/07/05 02:17 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Always a solid, reliable car to own. I bought it new and still have it in 2005... 15 years and not a single problem.