Used 1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Only car I ever want
By dave9090

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I am the second owner. Currently has 202,000 miles, bought it at 170,000. Best car I have ever owned. Cruises on the highway, solid build, supremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drive this car across the country, even with 200k on it. Even though it's an Arizona car and has been meticulously maintained by myself and the original owner, its condition is a testament to Toyota quality. Both interior and exterior literally look brand new, save for some slight paint fading from the strong sun here. All the power features still work flawlessly. Easy and inexpensive to work on. Nothing fancy, but I don't want to drive anything else.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on. Everything I've ever had to do has been easy to access, parts are available and inexpensive. Better side and rear visibility than any other car I've driven. Incredibly solid, well-built car. I take good care of it, but I have also used and abused this car way beyond what should be expected of it and it's solid as a rock. Still gets 30 mpg at 75 on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder gets in the way of the radio. That's all I got. This car is 99.9% perfect.

They don't build them like this anymore
By cjleary83

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

For what it is, my 1990 Camry is by far the best car I've owned. It's built to get you from point A to point B comfortably and reliably, and that's exactly what it does. I've owned it since 2001 (second owner) and other than oil changes, batteries, and headlights, I've never had to have any work done on it. May have recharged the ac once. I also own an 07 Subaru legacy, and I actually keep it in the garage most of the time, because there's no point putting miles on it while the Camry still runs perfectly. Sure, it's not the prettiest car and it's not going to win any races, but for a daily driver, this is an ideal machine. Gas mileage is decent and it's dirt cheap to insure.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Period. This car is more dependable than Abe Lincoln. It's 24 years old, all original engine parts, and it runs like I just drove it off the lot. Granted, it's low mileage, less than 120k, and I take good care of it, but that's still pretty impressive. The amenities are not bad either, power windows, ac, cruise control, all basic these days but a nice find in a 90. Performance is decent at best, but if you're buying a 1990 Camry, you're not looking for speed and acceleration. It'll do 90 on the highway easily enough though.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I've run into are corrosion, which is to be expected in a car that has been exposed to 24 New England winters. The undercarriage is starting to rot a bit and will probably need new exhaust soon. Electrical system is a little weak, too. You'll notice a drop in power when you run a lot of systems at once (I.e., if you run the wipers, heat, headlights, defroster, and radio at the same time, you'll notice the lights dim and the wipers get sluggish.)

keeps on keeping on
By roseygal

1990 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Wagon

I'm at the point where I have to decide if it's time to let go and the truth is I just don't want to! I can't even find a kbb value for a 1990, but mine still looks pretty good and only has 140,000. miles. It needs a little work now, but for 6 years I didn't put a drop of money into her, except oil changes. I was the second owner.

Favorite Features

smooth ride. I've been test driving cars that are ten years older and I still prefer how mine feels. I drive a v-6

Suggested Improvements

it's old so of course it's not the prettiest of cars!

350k!!!!
By mrspeedster

1990 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan

i just keeps going!! this is my bf's car, he bought it at 100k 11 years ago (he and i both do alot of cross country driving) all we have done is speakers and radio 110k, serpentine 145k, water pump 190k, fuel pump 250k, front tie rod and front and rear struts 300k (he hopped a curb at 70 mph and that is all it did!) we are really hoping for 400k, and btw at that point talk to your toyota dealer, i have heard of people with their high milage toyotas trading in for a brand new toyota of the same model for F R E E E E E E E E (some advertizement thing) the parts are dirt cheap built like a tank (I hit 2 deers on a dirt road and went smack into a ditch, only a ding on the hood and grill)

Favorite Features

still gets 37mpg hwy, 29 city and can see over 40 if a wind is behind (partially do to modified exhaust -- whole thing snapped before the catalytic conv. because of rust, replaced with straight pipe and a cheapo muffler, no cat, still silent) holy trunk... literally. i can double fist it from underneath. (don't judge it's a convenience feature!) him hitting a telephone pole resulted in a ash hole passenger side mirror (convenient for smokers!) hopping a speed bump resulted in a "wiggle it" trunk (hold the key in and wiggle alot to open. Security feature!)

Suggested Improvements

no matter what happens it just keeps going!! very very highly recommended for any school or work car!

the man
By segelstrom101

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

hello i picked up my 1990 toyota camry dx in november with 131,256 miles and boy am i impressed. lots of power good mpg and really comfortable. the heat blows like you couldn't believe and the ac is amazing. it definitely is what gave toyota the name it holds today. the only thing i have had to do in repairs besides the rust fixing is a gas line and a radiator but my yota is the man. i will be the last owner of this car i could never sell it. if you can find one i highly recommend you get it. thanx for reading.

Favorite Features

i love the power and normal mode it has. i also really like how the shifter is on the floor instead of the dash. it is one of the most comfiest cars i have ever sat in.

Suggested Improvements

make the wheel wells a little more durable there is some rust there but thts new england for you.