1990 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Only car I ever want
By dave9090 on 05/29/14 17:22 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I am the second owner. Currently has 202,000 miles, bought it at 170,000. Best car I have ever owned. Cruises on the highway, solid build, supremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drive this car across the country, even with 200k on it. Even though it's an Arizona car and has been meticulously maintained by myself and the original owner, its condition is a testament to Toyota quality. Both interior and exterior literally look brand new, save for some slight paint fading from the strong sun here. All the power features still work flawlessly. Easy and inexpensive to work on. Nothing fancy, but I don't want to drive anything else.

They don't build them like this anymore
By cjleary83 on 04/01/14 17:39 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

For what it is, my 1990 Camry is by far the best car I've owned. It's built to get you from point A to point B comfortably and reliably, and that's exactly what it does. I've owned it since 2001 (second owner) and other than oil changes, batteries, and headlights, I've never had to have any work done on it. May have recharged the ac once. I also own an 07 Subaru legacy, and I actually keep it in the garage most of the time, because there's no point putting miles on it while the Camry still runs perfectly. Sure, it's not the prettiest car and it's not going to win any races, but for a daily driver, this is an ideal machine. Gas mileage is decent and it's dirt cheap to insure.

keeps on keeping on
By roseygal on 04/13/12 15:34 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Wagon

I'm at the point where I have to decide if it's time to let go and the truth is I just don't want to! I can't even find a kbb value for a 1990, but mine still looks pretty good and only has 140,000. miles. It needs a little work now, but for 6 years I didn't put a drop of money into her, except oil changes. I was the second owner.

350k!!!!
By mrspeedster on 04/05/12 07:42 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan

i just keeps going!! this is my bf's car, he bought it at 100k 11 years ago (he and i both do alot of cross country driving) all we have done is speakers and radio 110k, serpentine 145k, water pump 190k, fuel pump 250k, front tie rod and front and rear struts 300k (he hopped a curb at 70 mph and that is all it did!) we are really hoping for 400k, and btw at that point talk to your toyota dealer, i have heard of people with their high milage toyotas trading in for a brand new toyota of the same model for F R E E E E E E E E (some advertizement thing) the parts are dirt cheap built like a tank (I hit 2 deers on a dirt road and went smack into a ditch, only a ding on the hood and grill)

the man
By segelstrom101 on 05/31/11 13:22 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

hello i picked up my 1990 toyota camry dx in november with 131,256 miles and boy am i impressed. lots of power good mpg and really comfortable. the heat blows like you couldn't believe and the ac is amazing. it definitely is what gave toyota the name it holds today. the only thing i have had to do in repairs besides the rust fixing is a gas line and a radiator but my yota is the man. i will be the last owner of this car i could never sell it. if you can find one i highly recommend you get it. thanx for reading.

Hoping for 400k
By thefranks5 on 05/27/11 20:32 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan AWD

I have two Toyota Camrys. We liked the 1990 so much, we bought a 1991. Essentially, their twins... except one is a manual shift, one an automatic. My wife wishes it would die, so she could get a new one. The 90 has 251,900 miles and still gets between 29-34 mph. Still use it on my 180-mile commute. No real mechanical problems, other than regular maintenance. Timing belts, water pump, cv boots, tires, etc. The major key to it's longevity is regular oil and filter changes -- every 3k -- plus a good oil additive, Hilton Hyperlube or Lucas or Slick50. I'm hopeful it will make to 400k. Would love to know what % of Camrys make it over 300 or 400k

Solid, Reliable, Value.
By Anthony on 09/01/10 07:57 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I can't be more impressed with this little wagon, with over 200,000 miles, it feels like new. Interior is remarkably solid & high in quality. Modern cars have better styling but can't say better build and materials. Engine is still peppy. Give any car regular oil changed and it will go over 150,000, but this car I'm sure would go over 400,000. It feels that good, with very little repairs if any. I put on 15,000 miles and saw the odometer flip 200,000 miles and not one repair since owning it. Its a 1990 so its not going to have all the bells & whistles like today's cars but it gets the job done competently. I wasn't thrilled when I purchased it cause its old & quirky looking, now I love it.

Bulletproof
By Kwak on 08/25/10 21:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

Looking to buy a reliable car? This car must be on your list. Find a decent one and buy it. My 20 yr old Camry will shame most cars half its age. They just don't make them like this anymore. Even newer Toyotas can't match the 2nd Gen's. reliability. But if you want "Lust, Passion, Soul" ..go else where, and bring your wallet. Proof that you can fall in love with a "boring" car. I would buy another one in a heart beat. My car is at 200,000 and betting it will go 10 more years and rack up over 300,000 miles easy. I just hope they'll still make parts when I do get to that milestone. A perfect car for low budget, student, first car, commuter. Excellent Value.

It keeps on ticking
By Tony on 06/27/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this beauty from my Aunt Mary. V-6 auto, loaded. It let me down once so far. Bad coil. I cringe at changing the three rear spark plugs!(V- 6). Wheel well rust. Thanks for the road salt New York! Aunt Mary was right, It is a Japanese Cadillac! I love the POWER button, she moves. I love this car and will drive it as long as I can. It has 92,000 on it so far. For a twenty year old car, it can't be beat! Thanks Aunt Mary!

Had a few problems
By jerrymax on 05/22/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I had my 1990 Camry Deluxe for 11 years after buying it used with 42k miles. First 100k no problems, but after that it was a different story. Body cladding rotted, rust on rear wheel wells (common problem with that model), leaking in trunk whenever it rained, fuel injector sensor went bad, electrical circuits to rear lights and dashboard failed repeatedly, multiple front end problems, 2 clutch replacements, synchros went back--had them replaced--failed again a year later. Repair bills totaled over $10k. I loved it like an old friend but let it go at 232k when motor quit. Found it in a parking lot 2 years later with a new owner and 260k on odometer. Still, I question Toyota's reliability.