Oil consumption
By angie5768 on
2007 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I've enjoyed my Toyota Solara, except that at EVERY oil change it's been 1 quart low of oil. We took it to the dealer for an oil consumption test and were told that it's normal for it to consume that amount of oil every 5,000 miles. I've never driven a new car that I had to put oil into at that rate. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but still concerns me. Other than that, it's a comfortable car that handles well. View over the shoulder is a bit obstructed, but you can use your mirrors if adjusted properly. 6CD changer has already been replaced once by factory and appears to be going out again.
Favorite Features
Comfortable seating in the front.
Suggested Improvements
Blue tooth would be nice, and GPS.
By cyndee3215
on 06/17/11 10:55 AM (PDT)

I first noticed by 2007 Solaro using excessive at about 42,000 miles. Dealer said it's normal. I have never had a car that needed oil between oil changes. Burns about 1-1/4 quart for every 2000 miles and dealership in Brunswick, Ohio says it is normal. Last time I was there they said they added a little bit more oil so I wouldn't have to come back so often. Duh! I just want my car fixed. I also will NEVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA!

By casseddie
on 02/28/12 15:15 PM (PST)

I too am intriqued at the oil usage of this vehicle between oil changes. I have had quite a few toyotas, and have never had a problem like this. And all of them were high mileage vehicles(200k+). So I don't understand this as being normal. Other than that, it's a nice car.

By notatoyotafan
on 12/17/10 20:40 PM (PST)

I am having the same problem! same model and make as you. I started consuming oil at 70,000 miles...just out of warranty. The service manager and the people on the 800 number have told me the same thing...it's "normal" for it to consume 2 QUARTS of oil every 3,000 miles. They must think because I am a woman I am an idiot! I do not usually use the dealer... and my regular mechanics are worried that the next thing to happen is my catalytic converter will go because of all the oil going thru it. I am in the middle of my oil consumption test...I have finally proven to them it is burning 1/2 qt every 500 miles!!! We'll see what happens but I can tell you this....I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA again! The only person who listens is the service writer..all the "higher ups" blow me off!