2007 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Review: Beware the 4cyl

2007 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Review

Beware the 4cyl
By Sorry I bought it on

2007 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The 4cyl is a clumsy and unrefined engine that ruins an otherwise good car. Poor engine controls, driveablity, hesitates badly often and wants to stall when it is cold (warming up) leads to an unhappy driving experience. Have been back to the dealer several times and I'm told the car is operating normally, and I should drive it "more aggressively". I bought the 4 to save gas, not beat on it. Combined hwy/cty or city only mpg is worse than my old, big 6 that I traded in. Hwy mpg is ok. I've had other small issues that the dealer took care of.

Very pretty car, really nice blue/tan interior combo. Sunroof adds some open air comfort without too much wind roar. Roomy and comfortable, especially for two people traveling. Sound system is a definite plus, sounds great! Big trunk and seats that fold down in back is a nice feature.

Fix the engine controls. It strikes me odd that it is considered "normal" for a brand new car to hesistate or want to stall. I know it is a 4 and don't expect it to work like a 6 or an 8, although it does have decent power, but it should be smooth or refined. Do not buy the 4cyl. You'll be sorry.