Used 2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Overall the best Car We've Owned
By Pat

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car used from a private seller back in 2007 with 41k miles. We now have 140k miles and have not had any major mechanical problems since purchase. 2-sets of brakes and tires since then. One power steering hose and one inner tie rod, that's about it. Haven't even changed the plugs yet but regular on the fluid changes. Engine still runs strong. HVAC controls work perfect (Air & Heat). Factory radio still sounds great. Power convertible top still works flawless (orig factory top still). Auto transmission still shifts smooth. Gets good gas mileage for a V6 especially on the highway. I expect this car to last us another 10 years.

Pros: Good build quality, powerful V6, smooth auto transmission, tilt/telescopic wheel great for extremely tall or short people (which we are).
Cons: Only con is when it's raining and you open a door, water will drip from the convertible top down on your leg. Not sure if this is just our car or a Solara convertible issue in general but it's a minor inconvenience.

Now I have 3 Camrys
By chris_s_2010

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle: 2006 V6 SLE coupe
Purchased Aug 2013 with 166K km (103K miles).

I already have a 2010 Camry Hybrid (and a 2000 Camry CE) so I bought this as a newer "second" car given that the 2000 is getting a bit old. I was looking for something a bit sportier but still reliable and this seemed to be the best choice.

Quite comfortable, nice looking car, good power (with the V6), high-end features (in the SLE). For a 7 year old car, it still looks quite stylish. Has a good reliability record so it should last for many years. Body in good shape: doesn't show its age.

Not a sports car but has a touch of Lexus styling and fun to drive with the sunroof open. I generally avoid cars with a sun roof because of the headroom (I'm 6'4") but I'm OK in the Solara. Back seat is very usable and it has a great trunk. Lots of power. Able to get 8L / 100km (30 mpg) or better on the highway. With a light touch, city gas mileage isn't too bad either.

Things that could be better: * Leather seats look good but aren't as comfortable as the seats in my 2010 Hybrid. Lumbar support isn't sufficient. * Back seat headroom is limited so you don't want to go on any long trips with 6 footers in the back. * The V6 engine is hard to service on the rear side. It has long-life spark plugs but when they need to be done (192K km?) the labor is quite expensive. * If you ever need to change the rear shocks, the back seat needs to be torn apart to do it.

I love it!
By Convertible Girl

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It's the best looking convertible for the price and it drives very smooth like a more expensive car. Every Friday night I put the top down and sail home with a big smile on my face! It's so much fun to drive!

Electric seat, large trunk, the rims, inside wood trim, cute backside!

Remove head rests in the back seat.

Great Convertible for Friends & Family
By Dr Peter Baldwin

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The Solara is a fantastic convertible that comfortably seats 4 passengers. I routinely take my colleagues out on golfing trips. There's plenty of room for everyone and their clubs. I'm always getting compliments. Sure I could afford a BMW or a Lexus, but it seems foolish in this economy to overspend on a car. This car has everything I need and more. I love the built-in satellite radio. Sure, the blind spots are bigger than on a standard car, but that's a trade-off of having a convertible. It's not a mini-van. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a reliable, performance driven, roomy convertible. It's like a Lexus without the price tag.

Size, Styling, Gas Mileage, Luxurious, Comfortable on long trips, Fast

None

Disappointed Owner :(
By Sad Owner :(

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I’m very disappointed on how the car's finish has held up. My sun visors on both sides have been replaced 3 time because of a wear hole in the same place, dashboard marks up and can’t remove marks, top has a hole in it from where it folds over when the top is down, window rubber stoppers keep falling off after 3 repairs, door panel is coming undone and about 5 more things that are poor quality. I’ve been to the dealership MANY times and was told by Toyota area tech that Toyota “doesn’t care” and that’s what happens to convertibles when exposed to the sun. POOR ENGINEERING!!! I thought I was buying a Toyota and a company that stands behind without a fight, but I was wrong. This was my 5th new Toyota.

Convertible

Toyota needs to listen to long time (any) customers, because no one makes a PERFECT car and problem solving will lead to higher customer satisfaction. I never asked Toyota to eat the problems, just look at them and improve and learn from them!