Comfy, not sporty
By Michael Betcher on
2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
Fast enough, good-handling enough for the occasional spirited flog, but this car makes me want to drive slowly and enjoy the open-air experience rather than rush to get somewhere. The cockpit is very calm with the top down, and even more so if the front windows are up. I believe the cabin is even more quiet than my wife's Maxima when the top is up, perhaps a function of the sound-deadening quality of the fabric top. Definitely a smooth and stylish cruiser, with all the practical amenities of an everyday driver. It makes a routine drive enjoyable, and what more can you ask?
Favorite Features
Usual Toyota things: fit, finish, quality feel. Top is easy to operate, and even when down leaves plenty of space in the trunk for travel gear, etc. Mileage has been better than I expected, but maybe that's because -- as mentioned above -- I tend to cruise rather than rush in this car.
Suggested Improvements
Rear visibility could stand improvement, and that semi-hard boot is so bulky that it takes up a lot of the trunk if you decide to take it along. I'm not a big fan of the 17" wheels, either, because I think they transmit more road noise and vibration than one wants in this quasi-luxury ragtop.