Used 2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

rag topper
By cruzin

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After shopping for a midsize convertible I was down to the Solara totally loaded, or the Saab 9-3 linear. Both were excellent vehicles. However I thought I got a bigger bang for the buck with the Toyota, which had nav, body side molding, auto starter, pin striping and side airbags. The ride is as smooth as a larger convertible. The power is ample esp. with that slap stick which is a lot of fun. The top works nicely but the boot deal is a pain, unlike the Saab, but the mileage, ah that is great. On a recent trip I got 32.7 miles and thatís regular gas. All in all I like this car and seem to enjoy it more and more each time I drive it.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the car the lines are similiar to the es300, gas mileage and the seats are very comfortable. Oh and the nav is great, very readable and accurate, same as lexus

Suggested Improvements

Bad blind spot on the pass side between rearview mirror and sideview ... make sure the mirrors are set before driving

Comfy, not sporty
By Michael Betcher

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Fast enough, good-handling enough for the occasional spirited flog, but this car makes me want to drive slowly and enjoy the open-air experience rather than rush to get somewhere. The cockpit is very calm with the top down, and even more so if the front windows are up. I believe the cabin is even more quiet than my wife's Maxima when the top is up, perhaps a function of the sound-deadening quality of the fabric top. Definitely a smooth and stylish cruiser, with all the practical amenities of an everyday driver. It makes a routine drive enjoyable, and what more can you ask?

Favorite Features

Usual Toyota things: fit, finish, quality feel. Top is easy to operate, and even when down leaves plenty of space in the trunk for travel gear, etc. Mileage has been better than I expected, but maybe that's because -- as mentioned above -- I tend to cruise rather than rush in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility could stand improvement, and that semi-hard boot is so bulky that it takes up a lot of the trunk if you decide to take it along. I'm not a big fan of the 17" wheels, either, because I think they transmit more road noise and vibration than one wants in this quasi-luxury ragtop.

Too Much Fun
By Lue

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed every minute in my Solara. The ease with which the top and windows all go down simultaneously is great! The problem I have are that the back windows cannot be controlled independently. They cannot be opened or closed from the back seat. They are controlled only from the front driver's side and only while opening or closing the front windows simultaneously.

Suggested Improvements

Allow rear windows to be open from the back seat. Blind spot from the small rear window and high rear headrests.

My 2005 Toyota Solara SE Convertible
By Gary Green

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Driving the 2005 Toyota Solara was a new experience for me as I had been driving a 1989 car. The convertible with the 3.3liter V-6 is smooth, quiet and has plenty of power. The interior and exterior are pleasing and modern. The rear seats actually hold two adults comfortably. The red exterior with black leather and trim causes this car to stand out in a crowd. Some of the things that I do not like are: the drivers seat speed; much too slow, the rear view is mostly blocked by the huge rear head rests, and the instruments atop the dash are difficult to see in bright light. The convertible top is simple to lower, and raise.

Favorite Features

The convertible top. Dash instruments easy to see, and well lit at night. The engine is strong. The 5 speed automatic transmission. The car is quiet for a convertible. Auto on projector headlights. In wheel audio controls.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of fuel meter, clock and temperature gauge for visibility. Put a faster fore/aft motor on the drivers seat. It is too slow. Get rid of those huge rear headrests, and install smaller ones. They hide your rear view. Add some side trim for protection.

Fun to drive
By Solara Convertible

2005 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a pleasure to drive, very smooth and very quiet. When the top is up it doesn't even feel like a convertible. My only complaint is the small back window but you get used to it.

Favorite Features

comfort, style, excellent handling and power.

Suggested Improvements

larger back window, better fuel economy would be nice.