2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car I Have Ever Had
By rkempen

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am amazed of how much I love this car.

Suggested Improvements

NOTHING

Mediocre Review
By bsb1

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Lot of fun to show off and drive with the top down! Have had several quality issues including: paint peeling off the rear!, gear shift module (plastic component broke), alignment issues. All within the first 5000 miles! Cowl shake still noticeable. Stereo system is OK, although not remarkable (it is no Bose). Definately performs like a mid- level family sedan rather than a sports car. Would love to see the same size and styling with a sportier suspension system, and by all means, a manual transmission! Averaging 21mpg in the city and 27mpg on the highway. Sheet metal "feel" is the worst of any car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior styling. Loads of compliments. Great rear seat for family or other adults. Very quiet engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better sheetmetal. Very thin, several dents in first few thousand miles. Get rid of the removable antenna (nuisance). Automatic boot cover for the top. Manual cover looks good when on, but is rarely used due to the inconvenience. A manual transmission

Classy yet Sophisticated
By Tiffa

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I never made a better investment. I have no complaints whatsoever with this car. I was even involved in 2 minor accidents and the car held up beyone my expectations and I didn't it feel the impact as much as I would have in my old car.

Favorite Features

I love the body style and the V6 is a must! I prefer the sport guages and trim package with the body kit over the SLE model. It's classy yet sophisticated.

Suggested Improvements

Offer 18" rims. Have the climate control package available for the SE Sport model like the one in the SLE. Power seats for the SE Sport.

Ridcockulous ride!
By Dingleberry

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

this car is so hot everywhere i go people stare. of course mines souped up but nonetheless its hot and it gets the attention it rightfully deserves

Favorite Features

6 in dash cd player, navi system

Suggested Improvements

the doors are friggin huge!

Jeff's review
By fertdawg

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car looks great on the outside as well as the insdie but the performance is sub-par. Pick up is sluggish compared to other v-6's in the market. The transmittion also has its own problems as it tends to rush into third gear, abd the driver gets the feeling of anticipation as the transmittion down shifts. While slowing down at a red light, and it turns green, pressing on the accelerater will make the transmittion jump awkardly. After market parts are hard to get. For example, to get a aftermarket head unit you would have to get a new kit for that section of the dashboard, becuase the current dash board theme is samll.

Favorite Features

The engine is almost too smooth, friends have gone into the vehical, and do not notice the engine running. The seats are confortable for long distance driving. I found heated seats useful from time to time. The in dash six cd changer is quite convienent.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to re make this car with ALOT more pickup that advertised. I was decived at the fact that a 2 door coupe with 225 hp and 240 ft lbs of torque would be fast, but I was wrong. TRD needs to hurry up and make aftermarket performance parts.

Drive By Wire
By Joe_P

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I couldn't be more pleased with this "Personal Car". A joy to drive, and compared to most, takes the curves "on rails". Main reservations center on the "drive-by-wire aspects: a brief hitch in throttle, shift, and brake response while a "chip" considers the drivers intentions. Most serious reservation: the vacume assist brakes which stop OK, but only after the pedal is half way to the floor!

Favorite Features

Suspension. "Sfiftable" Auto Transmission. Smooth, responsive V6 with plenty of torque (lacking in the 4).

Suggested Improvements

Brake and/or brake power assist desperately needs attention. The 2004s did not show this problem.

Best Convertible for the Price
By Art007

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Exellent JBL sound system, impressive fit and finish, well laid out interior, head turning exterior design, padded convertible roof. Loaded with little extras: one button to raise/lower all windows, simple and speedy top, intelligent front passenger seat airbag. Glove box and center dash cubby open as if on hydraulics. Tilt and telescope steering wheel and full power drivers seat ensure a comfortable driving position. Optional Day Time Running lights is a plus.

Favorite Features

JBL 6 CD in-dash changer

Suggested Improvements

The boot was designed by committee. Mine will see little service. It now resides in a plastic bag in the garage.

Best solid fun in years!
By Russ

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Jet Black exterior with tan hides and tan rag top. Loaded and the best navigation system ever! Great quality, superior looks and finish. Too many features to list here. Why pay 45k to 56k for other convertibles? This baby is sharp!

Favorite Features

Extensive navigation system. Heated leather seats - ice ice cold air -sleek looks!

Suggested Improvements

Backup radar or camera.

Beautiful Car
By Littlfeather108

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SLE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an excellent buy. One of the first things that caught our eye was the amount of room. Better half is 6'4" and fits very comfortably. The car itself has a classy look. We chose the 2005 Red SLE. I am constantly getting asked how I like my new Lexus. It is very similar in style to a Lexus. It has an amazing amount of "get up and go" for a 4 cylinder. This one has the moon roof which we like very much. The car is so quiet it is hard to tell if it is running or not. The sound system is very adequate and the dash design is very sporty. It has a roomy trunk, and the back seat boasts plenty of room for long legged passengers. This is an excellent car for the money.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, 6 CD Changer, Roomy front and back seats, body style makes it look really sporty, Easy to drive and handle on the road.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I would suggest are better tires.

A great car for me!
By clh42980

2005 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just brought home my 05 SE Sport Coupe (V6), I have researched so many cars on edmunds.com before making my selection. I am a eclipse gal (had 4), still have a 00 eclipse gt BUT the inside is so very tiny on it. I was looking for something a bit more spacious, even looked at the Lexus is300, but decided to go with the Solara b/c it's front wheel drive. This car is still very stylish like my eclipse, but a bit more upscale. I have so much more room! There is a bad blind spot when changing lanes in the 00eclipse's, but I can see clearly in the solara! Also, the inside is not cramped. I can have more room (w/the sportronic gearshifter too), with still a 2 door car. Def a good choice for me.

Favorite Features

I really like the headlights, they are so cute! THe interior is great, and so spacious! My son always kicked the passenger seat of my eclipse, but not in the solara! I like the color (lunar mist) and the drive is awesome! its so very smooth! It turns on a dime and the ABS is great! console is cute!

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have prettier wheels..maybe chrome?( yeah right!)