Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Camry-solara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Complete Lemon
By KevinP

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been to the shop 23 times in the last 4 years. There was a short in the electrical system in the first month that Toyota didn't find that caused many other problems. Worst Dealer ever, worst car ever. The car understeers heavily, too little grip for fun handling, I average 23 mpg. I bought this because I thought the Passat was unreliable. I will be trading this piece of crap in for a Saab this week. VW and Toyota need to be taught what customer service is.

Favorite Features

Resale value, I will still lose a ton of money but I can't afford all the repairs.

Suggested Improvements

CUSTOMER SERVICE and Toyota should replace Lemons with another new car and apologize to me for my troubles. I will not buy another Toyota again.

UNBELIEVABLE MACHINE
By SnoopBman

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Solara for 4+ years now and I have nothing but positive words for this car. I currently have around 165K on the car, primarily highway miles and it still runs as soft, smooth and quietly as it did the first day I purchased it. I'm amazed at what Toyota has done with this machine. I've only had minor repair issues in the past mainly due to my excessive driving. Only had to replace driver side window regulator because it was broken into and regulator was damaged. And I have an AC leak which I hope won't be too much of a repair before this summer hits.

Favorite Features

I love the interior and exterior design of the vehicle. What sold me on the car was the frosted glass and the green LED lighting all over the dash. I love it.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements at all. I'm excited to see what the next masterpiece will be like because this one is damn near flawless.

Would buy again!
By Frank

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Soft ride, comfortable seats, fair gas mileage, not a road racer, great looking, not costly to run or own, the ladies love it with the top down, large trunk space, easy low cost upkeep, always starts, quiet as a convertible can be, 10 second top up or down, interior build quality is excellent.

Favorite Features

Quality convertible with great looks for not much money.

Suggested Improvements

Make transmission shift without hesitation, always smooth and not a big deal but noticeable. Dampen the hood movement. (Hard to do in a drop top.)

Timing chain sprocket
By Bob

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great comfort, ride, fuel economy, eye catching styling. At 40,000 miles I took it to the dealer for an engine noise. There was no check engine light on.They changed the belt tensioner. The moment I drove away the same noise was still there. The next week they found the timing chain sprocket's teeth were worn. They changed it. Two weeks later the engine quit on me. The timing chain came off, bent the valves and dented the a piston and damaged the cam. They rebuilt all changed all these with the timing chain sprocket being the culprit again. They couldn't tell me why the sprocket teeth keep stripping and if it will happen again.This is the 2.4l 4cyl engine.

Favorite Features

Interior design, drop dead good looks, indoor temp gauge, compass in mirror, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Access to the rear seat is troublesome. Doors are huge and require a lot of space to open

Love it!
By Leslie

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 4+ years and would highly recommend it. I'm getting ready to sell mine as I am having a baby and need to upgrade to something with 4 doors, otherwise I would keep it another 4 years or more. The only problem I have had with the vehicle was the Toyo tires that came with the car. I had to replace them at 28,000 miles (which is a terrible life span!). Now that I have some new Michelin energy tires on it, it drives like a dream.

Favorite Features

Interior styling (especially with black leather). Exterior styling (especially in red). Large trunk. Roomy backseat for a coupe. Excellent sound system (JBL audio with 6 changer CD).

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility could be better.