Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Good but not Great
By TampaFlorida

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, it's a good car. It seems to appeal to the older crowd from what I noticed. Not very exciting to drive and it doesn't turn heads. TV tends to make it look more exciting than it really is. Gets pricey when fully loaded. None the less, it's a good car. One major problem on my car. The sunroof binds and makes horrible noises. This is not at all what you'd expect from a Toyota! I've made 4 visits (going on 5)to the Dealership over the last 6 months to have this problem fixed. The frequent visits are mostly due to an incompetent dealership. Very dissapointing. I've gotten to know the Courtesy Driver very well. That can't be a good thing?

Favorite Features

1. Good Int/Ext Styling 2. Good rear legroom 3. V6 is OK, but not great. 4. Smooth Ride

Suggested Improvements

1. V6 has poor low end torque. Needs more HP too. 2. Passenger seat needs to go back to orignal position once moved. 3. Gauges don't match Radio/HVAC controls

Many annoying defects
By CBB

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had a significant number of problems with my Solara (none involving the engine, thankfully), including significant rattling in the dashboard (6 repairs, and counting), rattling/loose passenger window, whistling of the door seals at highway speeds, defective tire pressure indicator, defective rocker (retracting) mechanism in sunroof, defective driving lights, etc. Very shocking, given Toyota's reputation for reliability.

Favorite Features

Great drive; love the interior. Stereo system is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor driver visibility out of rear passenger windows; significant driver blind spots. Have had some close calls.

Solara
By solara

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had an Avalon and now Solara, Avalon better overall better body construction and overall comfort. Would recommend Avalon over Solara. Doors are too heavy for the hinges and are hard to open. Gas mileage about 25 mpg without air running. Car extremely quiet when running at idle.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Needs ashtray, heavier hinges on doors as they are massive, better tires.

Great car but some flaws
By solaraowner

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this new in 2004. It's reliable and I've never had any major problems with it, except cosmetically. The paint scratches very easily and the interior plastic panels came loose multiple times and I had to take it to several dealers before they fixed it for good. I wish for the money the car had a more quality interior. Mileage is excellent. The tire pressure monitor is way too sensitive and I wish it told you the pressure- sometimes it goes off it there is too much air in the tire, but you have to check the tires BEFORE adding air for this reason. The snow guard or whatever under the car came loose a few times when other people drove my car and the driver seat can come loose.

Favorite Features

On wheel controls, leather seats, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic, more luxury. More comfortable seats (not so bucket-y!) and power passenger seat adjustments. Rear AC and same access to back seat on driver side as passenger side. Better pickup when changing gears- it hesitates sometimes and has almost caused accidents.

UNBELIEVABLE
By dbackroyal

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My best friend refused to buy American cars and always bought Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas. I laughed at him until I got stuck with a LEMON American GM car. I bought two Toyotas both 2004 models and they are flawless perfect vehicles. I keep them maintained religiously and they have never let me down. This Solara is mine and I am absolutely in love with this car. I am 62 and have never had such a reliable vehicle. You couldn't pry it from mt cold dead hands (unless you gave me a new one)

Favorite Features

smooth ride, great visibility, great audio, engine quietness even after 98000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is ok in but could be improved. It is in the console and not well thought out. I guess the Japanese don't drink in their cars. Power seat on drivers side only. Maybe that is a chauvinist thing in Japan who knows. stick thing in Japan. This car is nearer to perfect than I have ever had.