2004 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
Complete Lemon
By KevinP on 02/26/09 22:24 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been to the shop 23 times in the last 4 years. There was a short in the electrical system in the first month that Toyota didn't find that caused many other problems. Worst Dealer ever, worst car ever. The car understeers heavily, too little grip for fun handling, I average 23 mpg. I bought this because I thought the Passat was unreliable. I will be trading this piece of crap in for a Saab this week. VW and Toyota need to be taught what customer service is.

UNBELIEVABLE MACHINE
By SnoopBman on 01/27/09 10:19 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Solara for 4+ years now and I have nothing but positive words for this car. I currently have around 165K on the car, primarily highway miles and it still runs as soft, smooth and quietly as it did the first day I purchased it. I'm amazed at what Toyota has done with this machine. I've only had minor repair issues in the past mainly due to my excessive driving. Only had to replace driver side window regulator because it was broken into and regulator was damaged. And I have an AC leak which I hope won't be too much of a repair before this summer hits.

Would buy again!
By Frank on 10/07/08 20:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Soft ride, comfortable seats, fair gas mileage, not a road racer, great looking, not costly to run or own, the ladies love it with the top down, large trunk space, easy low cost upkeep, always starts, quiet as a convertible can be, 10 second top up or down, interior build quality is excellent.

Timing chain sprocket
By Bob on 07/30/08 18:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great comfort, ride, fuel economy, eye catching styling. At 40,000 miles I took it to the dealer for an engine noise. There was no check engine light on.They changed the belt tensioner. The moment I drove away the same noise was still there. The next week they found the timing chain sprocket's teeth were worn. They changed it. Two weeks later the engine quit on me. The timing chain came off, bent the valves and dented the a piston and damaged the cam. They rebuilt all changed all these with the timing chain sprocket being the culprit again. They couldn't tell me why the sprocket teeth keep stripping and if it will happen again.This is the 2.4l 4cyl engine.

Love it!
By Leslie on 05/05/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 4+ years and would highly recommend it. I'm getting ready to sell mine as I am having a baby and need to upgrade to something with 4 doors, otherwise I would keep it another 4 years or more. The only problem I have had with the vehicle was the Toyo tires that came with the car. I had to replace them at 28,000 miles (which is a terrible life span!). Now that I have some new Michelin energy tires on it, it drives like a dream.

Disappointed is putting it mildly!!
By Gary on 04/08/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is absolutely the worse car mfr. It hesitates like crazy at low speeds and mis-shifts. It has been doing it from day one. After many times back to the dealer for this problem all they have to say is that the computer has no codes. We can't fix a problem without a code registering. I was told call Toyota directly and register a complaint with area rep. Which also turns out to be a complete waste of time.

Solara
By solara on 07/08/07 06:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had an Avalon and now Solara, Avalon better overall better body construction and overall comfort. Would recommend Avalon over Solara. Doors are too heavy for the hinges and are hard to open. Gas mileage about 25 mpg without air running. Car extremely quiet when running at idle.

Fantastic Car
By dkh on 01/01/07 10:51 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is the best for comfort and fuel economy much better than predicted, 26 city, 31 highway on average. The gauges are easy to see and read. Would buy this car again.

Great Purchase! No Regrets!
By clane on 12/03/06 19:20 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

As I enter my fourth year with this car I can honestly say I am more impressed as time goes by. The car is powerful, capable and gets surprisingly good mileage. I have not had one major repair and the only expense has been maintenance. This is my second Toyota and won't be the last. I came out of an 2002 Audi A4 that was a disaster. Toyota is the benchmark of well built and fairly priced mass market automobiles.

I Love This Car
By bearsmom on 11/29/06 18:31 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 6th Toyota. I love the comfort and handling, plus good gas mileage I get with my Solara. I have had nothing but positive experiences with it. I have 50k miles now and have replaced the tires. I have had no problems at all.