Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Sport V6 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Love it!
By Leslie

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 4+ years and would highly recommend it. I'm getting ready to sell mine as I am having a baby and need to upgrade to something with 4 doors, otherwise I would keep it another 4 years or more. The only problem I have had with the vehicle was the Toyo tires that came with the car. I had to replace them at 28,000 miles (which is a terrible life span!). Now that I have some new Michelin energy tires on it, it drives like a dream.

Favorite Features

Interior styling (especially with black leather). Exterior styling (especially in red). Large trunk. Roomy backseat for a coupe. Excellent sound system (JBL audio with 6 changer CD).

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility could be better.

Disappointed is putting it mildly!!
By Gary

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is absolutely the worse car mfr. It hesitates like crazy at low speeds and mis-shifts. It has been doing it from day one. After many times back to the dealer for this problem all they have to say is that the computer has no codes. We can't fix a problem without a code registering. I was told call Toyota directly and register a complaint with area rep. Which also turns out to be a complete waste of time.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, car looks great. Sunroof once fixed, radio controls on steering wheel, inside gas door release. Unfortunately many option missing for a car that cost 25k. Missing electric seats, heated, a true tilt wheel, remote start, CD changer that holds more then one disk.

Suggested Improvements

Re-engineer the ride, car rides like a old 1969 Camaro. Unfortunately the Camaro doesn't hesitate and mis-shift as much as this car does. The Solara ride is choppy and hard, especially the Solara sport coupe. This car is the worst car I ever owned.

Fantastic Car
By dkh

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is the best for comfort and fuel economy much better than predicted, 26 city, 31 highway on average. The gauges are easy to see and read. Would buy this car again.

Initial Excelleration - Poor & Brakes
By Coupe

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Over all I would give my Solara SE V6 a low grade because of it's very much like a turbo engine. A friend of mine is a Toyota mechanic and he explained why there is so much excelleration delay similiar to a turbo lag engine. For this review, I'm only referring to low speed performance. At highway speeds it is more than adequate. I think it is unsafe, because when you need instant excelleration, it's just not there. I have owned a manual turbo engine car before and it was very responsive from low end to high end speeds. Would I buy another Solara? NO! Another problem I found is that the brakes are to spungy. I don't get that positive feedback from the brake pedal.

Favorite Features

Design, reliability and red color.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the excelleration problem and fix the brakes.

Initial Excelleration - Poor &
By Coupe

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Over all I would give my Solara SE V6 a low grade because of it's very much like a turbo engine. A friend of mine is a Toyota mechanic and he explained why there is so much excelleration delay similiar to a turbo engine. For this review, I'm only referring to low speed performance. At highway speeds it is more than adequate. I think it is unsafe, because when you need instant excelleration, it's just not there. I have owned a manual turbo engine car before and it was very responsive from low end to high end speeds. Would I buy another Solara? NO! Another problem I found is that the brakes are to spungy. I don't get that positive feedback from the brake pedal.