Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Complete Lemon
By KevinP

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been to the shop 23 times in the last 4 years. There was a short in the electrical system in the first month that Toyota didn't find that caused many other problems. Worst Dealer ever, worst car ever. The car understeers heavily, too little grip for fun handling, I average 23 mpg. I bought this because I thought the Passat was unreliable. I will be trading this piece of crap in for a Saab this week. VW and Toyota need to be taught what customer service is.

Favorite Features

Resale value, I will still lose a ton of money but I can't afford all the repairs.

Suggested Improvements

CUSTOMER SERVICE and Toyota should replace Lemons with another new car and apologize to me for my troubles. I will not buy another Toyota again.

Wonderful Car!
By Victor

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Solara Convertible. First was a 2001. The car is beautiful, dependable, and always attracts attention. Only real downside is the rearview visibility. Rear window is too small and the rear seat headrests are too big.

Favorite Features

Most of the features are "favorites." The looks, ergonomics, reliability, and service. I also like the fact that you don't see a glut of them on the road. It is a great car at a reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the rear visibility by restyling the convertible top with a larger window, and smaller rear pillar. The best improvement would be a retractable hardtop for the convertible. Also acceleration (torque) can be improved.

Nice, competent and stylish convertible
By PCC

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought previously owned (certified). Car drives/looks like the Lexus. I get lots comments from people mistaking it for the Lexus. I have noticed body shake/roll over rough roads but it is not uncontrolable. Better tires (V or Z- rated) make it more manageable. It's fun to drive, has lots of zip and still delivers around 25.5 mpg using regular/87 octane fuel (though the owners manual "recommends" 89 octane or higher). I usually put a tankfull of premium fuel once or twice a month. I only notice a slight difference in total performance (power & mileage). Overall, a very nice combination of great looks, excellent performance/handling and super reliability. Definitely would purchase again.

Favorite Features

The 3.3L engine is nice (especially w/a K&N air filter). The JBL stereo sounds great and does every music justice. The auto-shift really works well. The leather seating keeps you in the seat and comfy. The back seat can fit 2- adults comfortably and the trunk is full-sized (unlike most ragtops).

Suggested Improvements

Little bit stiffer shocks/struts (help offset the body roll/shake). Better cup holders. Make rear-seat headrests more contoured to give better sight-lines out the back of the ragtop (with the top up).

Blind spots
By solara

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The cars rides like a jewel. The worst thing is the roll bar in the rear, one cannot see what is in back of them, and also the rear window is small. The interior design is not very conducive to convenience of using the back seat area for putting packages on the floor temporarily. In fact you could eliminate the back seat area all together. No one can get back there to sit. I would not buy that model car again. I do love the Toyota engineering though, it is great over all.

Favorite Features

Rides and drives like the wind. The top is the easiest I have ever had to operate, of which I appreciate greatly since I have the use of my right hand only.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the height of the roll bar on the back seat, or have some way to remove them. They really are a hindrance, and the side view mirrors do not make up for the smallness of the rear window.

Toyota Solara SLE convertible
By ross333

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There is a problem with rear view visibility from the drivers seat with the top up. The rear seat head restraints all so block vision out of small rear window. The Toyota body is not stiff enough with out the unit body roof, this makes the convertible a bit unstable on all but super smooth road surface. You get a lot of shake car needs improved body supports.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Improve body role and shake. Improve rear view visibility.