Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Complete Lemon
By KevinP

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been to the shop 23 times in the last 4 years. There was a short in the electrical system in the first month that Toyota didn't find that caused many other problems. Worst Dealer ever, worst car ever. The car understeers heavily, too little grip for fun handling, I average 23 mpg. I bought this because I thought the Passat was unreliable. I will be trading this piece of crap in for a Saab this week. VW and Toyota need to be taught what customer service is.

Favorite Features

Resale value, I will still lose a ton of money but I can't afford all the repairs.

Suggested Improvements

CUSTOMER SERVICE and Toyota should replace Lemons with another new car and apologize to me for my troubles. I will not buy another Toyota again.

Would buy again!
By Frank

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Soft ride, comfortable seats, fair gas mileage, not a road racer, great looking, not costly to run or own, the ladies love it with the top down, large trunk space, easy low cost upkeep, always starts, quiet as a convertible can be, 10 second top up or down, interior build quality is excellent.

Favorite Features

Quality convertible with great looks for not much money.

Suggested Improvements

Make transmission shift without hesitation, always smooth and not a big deal but noticeable. Dampen the hood movement. (Hard to do in a drop top.)

Wonderful Car!
By Victor

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Solara Convertible. First was a 2001. The car is beautiful, dependable, and always attracts attention. Only real downside is the rearview visibility. Rear window is too small and the rear seat headrests are too big.

Favorite Features

Most of the features are "favorites." The looks, ergonomics, reliability, and service. I also like the fact that you don't see a glut of them on the road. It is a great car at a reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the rear visibility by restyling the convertible top with a larger window, and smaller rear pillar. The best improvement would be a retractable hardtop for the convertible. Also acceleration (torque) can be improved.

Nice, competent and stylish convertible
By PCC

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SLE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought previously owned (certified). Car drives/looks like the Lexus. I get lots comments from people mistaking it for the Lexus. I have noticed body shake/roll over rough roads but it is not uncontrolable. Better tires (V or Z- rated) make it more manageable. It's fun to drive, has lots of zip and still delivers around 25.5 mpg using regular/87 octane fuel (though the owners manual "recommends" 89 octane or higher). I usually put a tankfull of premium fuel once or twice a month. I only notice a slight difference in total performance (power & mileage). Overall, a very nice combination of great looks, excellent performance/handling and super reliability. Definitely would purchase again.

Favorite Features

The 3.3L engine is nice (especially w/a K&N air filter). The JBL stereo sounds great and does every music justice. The auto-shift really works well. The leather seating keeps you in the seat and comfy. The back seat can fit 2- adults comfortably and the trunk is full-sized (unlike most ragtops).

Suggested Improvements

Little bit stiffer shocks/struts (help offset the body roll/shake). Better cup holders. Make rear-seat headrests more contoured to give better sight-lines out the back of the ragtop (with the top up).

I Love it !!!!
By toyota solara

2004 Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutley love my car.... fun to drive it's a looker have had numerous folks come to me and ask how i like it... It's my first toyota and i look forward to it's longevity...