Used 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

will keep forever
By Joe

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used from a private party and, with its low mileage, low profile tires and after-market rims, I fell in love with it at first sight. I'm still in love with its manual transmission, plush ride and still-in-style good looks after five years of care-free driving. They say the Solara is a mature woman's car, but this honcho couldn't care less!

Two big, wide doors provide an easy access. When the rear seats are removed, the Solara holds almost as much cargo as a station wagon, without the boxy station wagon looks.

The Solara should come new with low profile tires and sportier rims. People mistake my Solara for a Lexus 2-door!

Timing chain sprocket
By Bob

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great comfort, ride, fuel economy, eye catching styling. At 40,000 miles I took it to the dealer for an engine noise. There was no check engine light on.They changed the belt tensioner. The moment I drove away the same noise was still there. The next week they found the timing chain sprocket's teeth were worn. They changed it. Two weeks later the engine quit on me. The timing chain came off, bent the valves and dented the a piston and damaged the cam. They rebuilt all changed all these with the timing chain sprocket being the culprit again. They couldn't tell me why the sprocket teeth keep stripping and if it will happen again.This is the 2.4l 4cyl engine.

Interior design, drop dead good looks, indoor temp gauge, compass in mirror, huge trunk.

Access to the rear seat is troublesome. Doors are huge and require a lot of space to open

I love the car.
By dennis

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car in this class. I test drove a BMW-3. Even ignoring the price difference and the fact it's in a different class I liked the Solara better.

Great passenger leg room. I am 6 feet/5 inches tall. Easy handling. Good power for a 4 cylinder. Impeccable interior styling. More trunk room than expected. Flat-out fun to drive.

It would be nice if the passenger seat returned to the original position after letting someone in the back seat.

Trunk Noise
By Dsevig

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been reliable so far and I wouldn't hesitate to go cross country anytime. Gas mileage stays on 30 mostly city driving. The passenger window came loose from the guide bracket and I had a trunk noise looked at at each 5K mile service. Finally after talking to the service manager personally the problem was found. The noise sounded like someone beating on an empty 50 gallon drum in the trunk when running over rough surfaces or stones. I think Toyota has a fix for this of replacing the rear shocks. The problem ended up being two rods forming an X inside the trunk and just under the rear window a piece of foam between the two rods fixed the problem. Rear seat long trips are a nightmare

Exterior body style and interior dash simplicity. I still have knobs on my 2000 Blazer that I don't know what they do.

Low tire pressure was a pain when new but it does work to let you know when you go from 32PSI to 29 PSI. Maybe to sensitive.

Love the car
By andi

2004 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my solara. It is comfortable to ride in and yet stylish with good gas milage. You couldn't ask for any more in a car.

The sleek style and the comfort that I have when driving. It handles well.

The trunk can be a pain to close.