Used 2003 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Mixed review!
By Alyssa

2003 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Solara from a private party. Within the ten months I had it, I put 34,000 miles on it. When I quit driving it, it has 237k miles! My car was my daily driver, about 80-100 miles a day from school/work to home. There was a major problem with the front end, and it would shake uncontrollably around 70mph, but I would just cruise at 80 to make the shaking go away. My heater was a LEMON, It took twenty minutes to warm up.
BIGGEST PROBLEM was, I had a had on collision with a full size pickup going 65mph. My car was totaled and I walked away with only bruises after spinning 5 times and etc. MY AIRBAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. I had a head on collision, I spun, hit things, my front of my car was demolished, yet my airbags DID NOT DEPLOY. Other than that, I actually was amazed at how it sustained the crash! My windshield and back glass shattered and came in the car, and my rearview mirror shattered and flew past me, and the panel that was on my ignition fell off. other than that, the interior looked as if I hadn't even been in a wreck, while the outside was pulverized. I had to put a quart of oil in it a week.
Personally, I would not buy one again because we had a lot of maintenance but it was used with high mileage, but if you want something SAFE for a teen or young driver, definitely get a Solara. Gas is amazing. I would be on EMPTY and only pay $25 and have full tank. I'm a very short girl (4'11) and I had virtually no blind spots.

Still reliable
By Katrina

2003 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is now 2015 and I have had my 2003 for years. It has 230,000 miles and still performing to standards. This car has grown on me to the point I don't want to sell it or give it away. Very dependable no major issues. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that wants a little style and reliability.

Solara
By glam1

2003 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Still chugging along at 120,000 miles.
Reliable; no major repairs needed. Changed battery twice.
Needed idle valve control cleaned about 5000 miles ago.
Getting only about 20mpg, though.

Probably burning a lot of fuel, but this car has enough power to zip me through traffic.

Maybe move the trunk release to somewhere outside of the glove compartment. It is safe to have it in there, but I once locked my keys in the trunk and even AAA couldn't save me then.

Awesome
By No name

2003 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is awesome. Fun to drive, easy to handle. Brakes last a long time compared to my 99 Camry) Gas mileage zipping around town and freeway is 27 mpg with the 4 cyl 2.0 L has just enough power for me. I think Toyota missed the boat not offering a 4 cyl convertible anymore. I was really disappointed by this when their new convertible design came out.

The body style is classic and sleek. Convertible is fun, and gas mileage.

Speakers. I never put the boot on, what a hassle.

Bad Blind Spot & Sound, No trunk release
By Thang Nguyen

2003 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Don't take me bad, I really like the car for both performance and exterior design. However, blind spot is really big problem, you should buy extra blind spot mirror. Don't trust advertised JBL sound system, I give a 6 on 10 scale. No trunk release inside the car, very inconvenient. Also, you can't read the sound system face plate when there is sunny because of the weird angle.

Excellent acceleration, braking is above the average

Blind spot. Trunk Release mechanic inside the car. Angle for the driver to be able to read the sound face plate.