2002 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Review: review of my Solara

2002 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe - Consumer Review

review of my Solara
By jmeitzen on

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very pleased. The 5th Toyota I've owned has the most power AND gets the best gas mileage of them all, plus is safer, smoother, and roomier. Wish I got a sunroof though. The back seat is a little hard to get into from driver's side, but roomy for a 2-door, but a little short on head room. Needs option for a graphic EQ & a deck that plays a CD w/MP3's but sound system is still above avg. I prefer rear wheel drive. Torque steer not bad; level largely determined by tires. Turning circle not as tight as a 96 Camry's. Anyway, I'm not selling the car anytime soon. Excellent value for quality, comfort, and power for the price.

Engine has great power. Transmission more responsive than my friend's '02 XLE V6 Camry but at times it shifts early; low end torque makes the problem small. Trunk large & back seats can fold down. Extremely reliable. Stereo's very good.

As it comes from the factory are 1) the relatively thin exterior body metal, which dents easily, 2) the less than good handling tires and lack of 17" wheel option (both of which I've changed and saw immediate handling improvement). Can't turn headlights off @ nite.