Used 2002 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Most Helpful|
not impressed
By zippo

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Rode in one that of friend owns. Can you say rattles? Actually considered buying one and I'm satisfied I didn't. The ride and mileage wasn't very impressive either.

Refined on a budget
By FSTRTHABTR

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, I've only owned the car about 8 months, purchased it used for a private party, they kept records on everything this car went thru however, which was very little. To date, it's never been taken in for anything other than routine service. The only thing not absolutely pleasing about this car is the accommodation of someone of my height, at 6'2" I feel a little bit claustrophobic until I open the sunroof.

Favorite Features

6 disc in dash cd changer and JBL speakers, on-dash rear bulb monitor, electronic climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering can feel awkward when seat is moved back to accommodate taller drivers, lumbar supports (optional) don't provide quite enough support, no steering wheel audio controls given the span you have to reach to operate the radio

Not a Shock, the average rating is a 9!
By yogi22

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Figures the average rating would be a 9. If I was aked that is what I would say. Top Down a 10, Top up an 8. When it's up you have to deal with convertible rattle (nothing when the radio is on). Down, it turns heads and performs well. This is NOT a Sports Car, so stop comparing it to Eclipse, Camaro and Stang. Compared to Cabrio and Sebring this car is the only choice. Toyota Service and Reliablity is priceless and what you pay more for it up front, you will get back when (and if) you trade it in.

Favorite Features

Look with top up and down. Nice power (V6). Great look inside. Good back seat. Sound system is great (turn down the base).

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the suspension and make it handle a little better. Paint is an issue on the front bumper, although Toyota denies it (buy touch up paint right away). The Boot is horrible.

review of my Solara
By jmeitzen

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very pleased. The 5th Toyota I've owned has the most power AND gets the best gas mileage of them all, plus is safer, smoother, and roomier. Wish I got a sunroof though. The back seat is a little hard to get into from driver's side, but roomy for a 2-door, but a little short on head room. Needs option for a graphic EQ & a deck that plays a CD w/MP3's but sound system is still above avg. I prefer rear wheel drive. Torque steer not bad; level largely determined by tires. Turning circle not as tight as a 96 Camry's. Anyway, I'm not selling the car anytime soon. Excellent value for quality, comfort, and power for the price.

Favorite Features

Engine has great power. Transmission more responsive than my friend's '02 XLE V6 Camry but at times it shifts early; low end torque makes the problem small. Trunk large & back seats can fold down. Extremely reliable. Stereo's very good.

Suggested Improvements

As it comes from the factory are 1) the relatively thin exterior body metal, which dents easily, 2) the less than good handling tires and lack of 17" wheel option (both of which I've changed and saw immediate handling improvement). Can't turn headlights off @ nite.

So Far Very Good
By bioedwards

2002 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Solara and the dealer have been the best I have experienced in a long time. The car has had no problems and has performed as expected. The only thing that I could complain about is the quality of the paint and the interior carpet. Both seem to be the cheapest possible.

Favorite Features

Driving ease and perfomance of the v6.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint and carpet