2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

SAVED MY LIFE
By 6paul11

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a previous review on here, and much time has passed since then. My Solara was an SLE, with a 5 Speed Manual. I just want to tell everyone that this car will save your life. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I crashed into a the back of a stopped car at 65 mph and it saved my life. My baby is gone, but will never be forgotten.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

By lovemytoys

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Solara over 3 years ago at 50K. Now its at 99.6K and has never left me stranded. Replaced timing belt, brakes, window fell off track once and valve cover gaskets and struts most recently. The car does have a smoking issue still, and has oil changes no more than every 3K (castrol syntec). Just now needing a transmission checkup and probably a flush. The ac compressor makes noise but hasn't died yet. Overall it's great, minor maintenance compared to vehicles.

Favorite Features

Fast acceleration, few blind spots, comfortable power leather drivers seat, handles great, great stock stereo system and cd changer

Suggested Improvements

Bring the small Solara back with a better color selection! Newer bodies aren't sporty enough; it does not appeal to the youth.

1st and only owner of my 2001 Solara v6 SLE
By dsquared1

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this card since October 2001. Bought it from Toyota of San Francisco. I was never big into Toyotas having driven only American cars. I have to say that American cars, in my opinion now are pieces of shit. The Solara has over 105K miles on it and aside from regular maintenance, I have had to do nothing more to keep this car in tip top shape. As opposed to my 1996 Dodge Intrepid which I bought brand new, had to replace its engine 2 times and transmission once before it hit $50K miles. The Solara is rock solid in build quality and is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Even after 11 years, the paint is perfect (no chipping or fading). No wonder the Japanese are dominant.

Favorite Features

All leather, 6 disc changer, great sound, V6 power. Great handling

Suggested Improvements

None. Except maybe. better gas mileage, but its a V6 so I know that to have power one must sacrifice gas economy.

Best car I ever had.
By theron

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought the car new Jan. 2001. 130,000 miles later, still runs like the day we bought it. My wife uses the car daily, and does not mind the 0-60 time of about a half a day. The car will not quit. Love it for that reason alone. Two sets of tires, one set of brakes, one battery & a timing belt, nothing else. Engine does not use any oil because I religiously change it every 3500 miles. It also gets better gas mileage that rated, with 500 miles per fill-up. Hope it lasts forever.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None

Solid Car
By dylancasb

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 18 months ago with 58,000 miles on it. Since then I have put 30,000 miles on it. I have had no trouble with the vehicle at all. However, when I first bought it I had to put one quart of oil in whenever it reached 2K miles since an oil change. I began changing the oil every 2K miles and now it doesnt use any oil even if I go past 3K between oil changes (sludge can be a problem with this model engine and frequent oil changes are a good idea). The 4cyl is a little underpowered but it gets good mileage. The interior fit is sound throughout the car. The hood finish is rough and seems to be a common problem with solaras in these years.

Favorite Features

Interior space, body design, fuel efficiency, reliability, value, comfort

Suggested Improvements

If you can afford the 6cyl, definitely get one.

The Real Deal
By Bratva

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Edmunds got it wrong on this one. They did make SLE V6 in Manual transmission. I drive one. I got it used, in immaculate condition. I care for it and installed a Magnaflow exhaust, KYB suspension, Brembo performance brakes, and sticky tires. Overall, a terrific car. Great JBL sound system and tons of fun with bulletproof reliability and power to boot.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, sound system, simplicity of the controls, build quality, and V6 power.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter throws on the gear shifter, 6 speed manual transmission, tighter turning radius, darker tint on the windows. My biggest complaint is the lack of aftermarket performance parts!

Outstanding Vehicle
By NYABU

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new, almost 9 years later it runs and looks as good as it did when new. No major repairs, except for maintenance and the car has never broken down. Particularly comfortable on weekly drives between LA and Vegas. Was rear-ended while sitting at a light by a car traveling 40 miles an hour. The other car was totaled, mine is being fixed and I feel fine. I'm glad they could fix, would never get the true value of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Reliability and overall performance. Love the large trunk, spacious interior. I'm no race driver, but it has plenty of get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Better on open road, not as nimble in traffic - turning radius could be improved. But I still love this car!

I purchased it and I love it
By Rena

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this car, and I'm totally happy with it. Comfortable, very nice interior. I just have one thing is the commuter, it's not like what I expected from a Toyota, I expected more miles/gal. Other than that... it's awesome.

Favorite Features

leather interior

Suggested Improvements

Mileage?

Great Car
By jrsat01

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this as a cert used with 9000 miles... currently has over 260000 without "any" problems... normal wear and tear... tires, brakes, oil changes etc... still get around 28 mpg, can only say it's no wonder Chrysler and GM are having problems... this car is quick, quiet and very dependable. This was/is a great car.

Favorite Features

The whole thing... great job Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a one.

Great Car
By Driver

2001 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car. Bought used with 100K. I was kinda scared of high mileage, but reviews gave it an A grade so I took the risk and glad I did. Daily work driver and great on fuel, no problems... solid car still at 120K and 8 years old.

Favorite Features

Half sporty, half daily commute car, Fuel mileage, It will rise again $5.00 Gal?