Used 2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Solid Car
By dylancasb

2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 18 months ago with 58,000 miles on it. Since then I have put 30,000 miles on it. I have had no trouble with the vehicle at all. However, when I first bought it I had to put one quart of oil in whenever it reached 2K miles since an oil change. I began changing the oil every 2K miles and now it doesnt use any oil even if I go past 3K between oil changes (sludge can be a problem with this model engine and frequent oil changes are a good idea). The 4cyl is a little underpowered but it gets good mileage. The interior fit is sound throughout the car. The hood finish is rough and seems to be a common problem with solaras in these years.

Favorite Features

Interior space, body design, fuel efficiency, reliability, value, comfort

Suggested Improvements

If you can afford the 6cyl, definitely get one.

Great Car
By Driver

2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car. Bought used with 100K. I was kinda scared of high mileage, but reviews gave it an A grade so I took the risk and glad I did. Daily work driver and great on fuel, no problems... solid car still at 120K and 8 years old.

Favorite Features

Half sporty, half daily commute car, Fuel mileage, It will rise again $5.00 Gal?

Love it!
By Lisa

2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very comfortable car. My husband has long legs and when sitting behind him in the back seat there is plenty of room. The trunk is huge. I have had actually a couple accidents in this car (not my fault), it held up very well. One of the most favorite cars I've had.

Favorite Features

leg room and the wood trim on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of any. It has it all.

Decent ride
By red & sharp

2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Performance is good enough for a 4 cylinder car and fuel economy is unbeatable. I have a metallic red Solara with tan interior and I love the colors. JBL system is great, you don't need any aftermarket music system. Car is smooth and quick and the best thing, you get that performance with a very reasonable amount of fuel. Comfortable, roomy, reliable, stylish, economic and fun to drive. Parts are cheap and this is the easiest car to maintain. That was all I needed and that's exactly what I have. You can't go wrong with Solara.

Favorite Features

Quality, quality and quality.

Suggested Improvements

Make more Solaras.

Best car I ever had.
By Solara

2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A great car over all. I have had no problems with any thing. Good Pick-up and go. Great on fuel, I am getting about 32mpg on highway and 29mpg on city. Unlucky, I had a crash in it already however it has been repaired and it drives like nothing happened. Great car! I am looking for another one for my wife...just in a different color. All thumbs up!