Used 2000 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
great car - v4 auto
By s560

2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

bought it used in 2004 for 12k with 76000 miles. 6 years later it has 169 000 miles. changed a radiator few years ago for $400 and a sensor for $180 last year. oil change every 3 months at $19.99. been in 4 accidents - 2 rear, 1 front and back (changed front bumper for $600)

Functional, but with major problems
By David Hull

2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

I've always owned Ford products until this Toyota, and was expecting great things. Bought it with just over 35,000 miles on it. At 55,000 miles, had to replace the engine after a broken push rod destroyed the lower half. Thankfully, the local dealer was able to arrange "good will" coverage, as the warranty had just expired. I've never been able to keep an alignment on the car for more than a few months, and have major vibration through the steering column at highway speeds. It handles well but lacks any power, as you might imagine with a 4-cylinder. I'm sorely disappointed with my first Toyota.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage - I went from a V8 Ford Crown Vic to the 4-cyl. Solara - big difference at the pump, even before $4 gas. Also has a surprisingly big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

I may be the first person to ever say this, but the reliability on my Toyota is what needs the most improvement.

poor quality but comfortable
By pchang

2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

interior is roomy and comfortable. however, ever since i bought the car brand new three years ago, i have had it fixed at least $2000. besides the 36,000-mile only tires, all four of the suspension had to be replaced when it was about 42,000.

Suggested Improvements

better quality control. should assemble in japan instead of states. i like the new 2004 future model though. hope it's better.

Put together poor
By SaraBoadway

2000 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Convertible

I was excited to finally have a toyota that wouldn't be in the shop all the time. I have had the car almost a year and it has had to have the passenger seatbelt replaced, the convertible top replaced, the front calipers replaced, the wheel bearring replaced, the rear speakers replaced. Needless to say the it has been in and out of the shop all year and to make matters worse Toyota nevers gets it completey fixed the first time so you have to keep taking it in, and the won't give you a renta car unless the keep it over night, and the dont' they keep it all day and rent it to you and ask you to bring it back another day

Favorite Features

My favorite feature would be the the stereo when it's working.

Suggested Improvements

They should have had wood grain around the stereo and all the deatials of the car should have been better put together. I feel like i got a lemon!

Where's the clutch?
By ezshift5

2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

41,375 miles on this 5-spd manual now. The only miscue during our three+ years was a faulty drivers side electric window switch (replaced under warranty at 13500 miles). A recent trip of about 4500 miles resulted in about 31 MPG overall. The only negative would be the suspension under hard driving - - which is less and less of a negative as I age. Toyota: ya done good.

Favorite Features

Reliability: motor runs, a/c works good, CD/cassette ditto. Economy: oil changes are < 25 at the dealer; fuel economy is akin to 4-cyl. Flexibility: huge trunk, large rear seat area holds my fat sister, manual shift good for snow.

Suggested Improvements

For '04, I think the suspension has been re-tuned. But the point is moot since the manual shift is no mo'.