1999 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Review: Best car I've ever owned - 8yr

1999 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Review

Best car I've ever owned - 8yrs+
By Chris in Charlotte on

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I'm on the verge of potentially trading in my dark green/tan leather 99 SLE w/ 157k. I do not want to get rid of it, but a 3 yr old and a newborn make a coupe impractical. Said simply, aside from some suspension issues, a valve cover gasket, and the backlight on the JVC stero going out, the car has been flawless and still looks fantastic. I get comments everywhere. Two recent ones were from the husband/owner of my sons' daycare, who wanted to take a spin, because he always wanted a Solara and never got one ("It's a Lexus with a Toyota badge" - his conclusion), and several less car savvy people who just cant believe its 11 years old.

True, matching 5th wheel; timeless styling that got panned originally; smooth, comfortable ride; incredible build/design quality; sound quality of stock JVC stereo system is superb. The leather seats have held up well (except the steering wheel), and the two tone dash looks brand new.

Biggest complaints are lack of remote trunk release, and mediocre fuel economy for a 200hp V6. The back bucket seats are surprisingly completely impractical for a baby seat. Okay, I'm nitpicking now. Still the best car I've ever owned (better than Porsche, VW, Honda). Gonna miss her.