1999 Toyota Camry Solara 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Still going

1999 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Review

SE Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Still going
By djcowboy on

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new and the only thing I have had replaced has been the timing belt, water pump and tires. I have 180,000 on the odometer and have not even replaced the clutch. The strut mounts will need to be replaced because I can hear a clunking noise over speed bumps and this seems to be a common problem with the Solara. The tires also seem to be an issue because they wear out pretty quickly. I have no complaints because even after 9 years I still get compliments on the looks and even the way it drives. It also still gets great gas mileage. The original stereo was okay but an upgrade to a Sony made a world of difference, sonically speaking and the speaker are still OEM.

Favorite Features

Looks, smoothness and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Struts should be a recall item along with the water pump which they replace when you get the timimg belt changed. The suspension could be a tad bit tighter because roll stiffness can be an issue on faster corners and I believe adds to the rapid wear of the tires.