Reliable, fun, and hassle free
By Andy on
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe
I bought my 1999 Solara in April of 2003 and haven't had any major problems with it. I've seen a lot of different reviews on here and some are accurate whereas others I can't understand. The interior is pretty straight forward, don't expect some crazy/flashy foreign interior. The ride is very smooth and it has decent power, but nothing huge compared to other coupe's. I have had issues with the struts, but I'm from Michigan. We have the worst roads in the entire country! Fuel economy is average, not as good as I expected from a Toyota, but overall I've been VERY happy with my purchase. I have yet to fix a single thing on the car and I'm approaching 76,000 miles on it.
Favorite Features
I found it to handle very smooth. Brakes are not the greatest, but I am a late braker and some of the fault may be my own. Good acceleration, comfortable seats (and I am a bigger guy, 6'-1", 260lbs).
Suggested Improvements
Better stock radio, I installed an Alpine CD player immediately. Improvments on the struts, they do sound very clunky and sound busted a lot of the time. The newer models have a larger engine which is nice, the car has decent power, but nothing compared to models in the same class.