Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Beyond expectations!
By Loyal SLE-V6 lady

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had a hard time deciding to pass this car to my son and buy a new one. I have a lot of highway miles and believe me that with 100% on time proper maintenance - this car can last a lifetime. No leaks, the only problem is that the paint and sealant is not thick enough. Can easily chip and there are two special body "mysteries" about a dime size that turned up after the warranty ran out. However, repairable.

Favorite Features

Comfort; quiet; smooth - awesome engine.

Suggested Improvements

The paint and sealant is not thick enough. Can easily chip and there are two special body "mysteries" about a dime size that turned up after the warranty ran out.

167,000 miles bought at auction
By Dana

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at a auction with 130,000 miles. I have driven from SC to FL and SC to VA countless times. Now with 167,000 miles still runs great no problems at all! Very roomy, and fun to drive, looks great inside/outside. Im sold on toyota! I really don't want to sell it but with a baby I really need an SUV or sedan.

Favorite Features

Love the wood grain, sound system is awesome, trunk space is huge! Back seat space is very comfy even with tall people or a packed car. Very reliable!!!! No road noise. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly can't complain, even if I wanted to.

Love my car!
By Michigan

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car new and do not plan on selling it for a few more years yet. I drive a lot and a comfortable drive is important to me. I get this comfortable ride in my Solara. I love to drive with the sun roof open! It is very reliable with only a few minor problems. 1. Tires need replacement every 2 yrs. 2. The air bag light keeps coming on. Plug under the front seat that keeps coming loose. The dealer would not show me the plug so I will have to look for it myself. When someone rides in the back, they will touch it with their feet and the light will come on. 3. I replaced the struts, they were expensive, but that brought that smooth ride I love so much back again.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, smooth ride, large trunk, roomy back seat, great sound system, auto headlights, sporty style, and leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

1. I would like to see the accessory charger (cig lighter) work when the engine is turned off. 2. Auto trunk release on key ring. 3. Air bag signal wire more secure so the light doesn't come on when someone sits in the back.

Great Car
By N8

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my SLE for almost 5 years now and I am about to roll over 200,000 miles. I have had a few minor issues with the car but overall it has been an excellent car. The CV joint boot split and ran dry and I had to replace the axle twice. The first time it was still under warranty, and the second time was around 160,000 miles. Smooth ride, good gas mileage for a V6 (27-29 mpg on highway depending on how heavy my foot is!!) and plenty of get up and go. Runs like new!! I would recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot and plans to keep the car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None. I have been very pleased with my car.

Great Car!
By doran

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

We bought our Solara new. We have the 4 cylinder engine with automatic transmission. We now have about 116,000 miles on it, and the only problem, the water pump had to be replaced at 69,000. What a great car, best we've owned. Uses no oil and we get from 23-26 around town and up to 34 on the highway. It's a dream to drive whether in town or highway, smooth and quiet. Still feels like a new car. Plenty of power for highway cruising and acceleration. We've considered getting a new car, but why? Wouldn't be afraid to drive this cross country tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design. Smooth, comfortable quiet ride. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any. More power would be nice, but they do make a V6 for that.