Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry-solara - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Wish new cars were this good!
By scoile

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it new back in '00, have put just under 195,000 on it. Still love it. Had five O2 sensors replaced (4 under warranty). All other service routine and repairs reasonable for age, mileage, and my driving, I'd think.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. Fantastic fuel economy (still get upward of 28 MPG mixed; originally got well into the mid-30s)! Peppy and fun to drive, especially for its size. Very roomy. Refined interior. Quiet. Full-size spare!

Still going
By djcowboy

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new and the only thing I have had replaced has been the timing belt, water pump and tires. I have 180,000 on the odometer and have not even replaced the clutch. The strut mounts will need to be replaced because I can hear a clunking noise over speed bumps and this seems to be a common problem with the Solara. The tires also seem to be an issue because they wear out pretty quickly. I have no complaints because even after 9 years I still get compliments on the looks and even the way it drives. It also still gets great gas mileage. The original stereo was okay but an upgrade to a Sony made a world of difference, sonically speaking and the speaker are still OEM.

Favorite Features

Looks, smoothness and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Struts should be a recall item along with the water pump which they replace when you get the timimg belt changed. The suspension could be a tad bit tighter because roll stiffness can be an issue on faster corners and I believe adds to the rapid wear of the tires.

Great Year for Camry Solara!
By Solara Luver

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle new for less than $20K. It's a four cylinder automatic with alloy wheels and a few bells and whistles. Nice looking car even after all these years. I now have 155,000 miles on the clock without ANY major repairs! My goal when buying this Solara was 200,000 miles, now I'm thinking 250,000 will be easy. I have been sold on Honda and Toyotas for about twenty years. Their reliability, fuel efficency and design simply bury the competition. If you follow the scheduled maintenance you will not be unhappy. My next car will definitely be a Solara. Maybe the convertible!

Favorite Features

The coupe design is sleek looking. Interior cockpit very intuitive. Car is peppy, and handles well, although a bit light in the rear. Ride is more quiet than you would expect.

Suggested Improvements

None, but newer models have bluetooth, GPS and other features that I will definitely want in my next car

Finally I found my car.
By RnR

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 99 Solara with 97,000 miles on it in February 07, and I made my best vehicle purchase ever. This car is such a solid, well built, stylish, dream of a car that I can't believe it's almost 9 years old. Sometimes I just go places to drive it. Yes, I replaced the front struts, and then the strut plates. I put a Pioneer C.D. player (the stock one was broken) in the car. I also put a cold air intake on it to improve mpg. Big difference on trips, not so noticable in town. I also have a Tacoma, and Toyota totally rocks! I totally love my 99 Solara! Toyotas are the best value!

Favorite Features

Everything about this car is beautiful: price, performance, quality, style.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing that would make this car even better is a remote trunk release, but the car makes up for that in other areas.

The best!
By Misha

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for over a year now and already put 18000 miles on it. It is definitely the best car I've ever owned. Previous owner had installed TRD suspension kit so the car is lower then normal you have a better control. In the past year I had to replace generator, thermostat, brakes, clutch, 2 wheel barrels - not a big deal.

Favorite Features

Lots of power! 200 hp, you could get it up to almost 300 hp with an optional TRD supercharger! Japanese made. Good gas mileage: ~30MPG